please recommend statistics, time series and econometrics books with finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications

please recommend statistics, time series and econometrics books with finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications

LosemindL
Hi all,

Please recommend good books for the following three categories. (I am
aim at finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications).

(1) statistical (financial) data analysis;
(2) time series;
(3) econometrics.

More specifically, I am looking for the following two types of books:

(1) Books that provide big pictures and intuitions and books that
connect dots...

For example, there are lots of statistics books(e.g. regression,
etc.), time series, and econometrics books, many of them are quite
mathematical. I am myself from a quantitative background so I don't
have problem understanding the math, however I am looking for
resources that provide big pictures and intuitions and books that
connect dots together, books that compare the differences and
similarities and books that talks about why and how (e.g. why ARMA,
why "log", why GARCH, etc. ) and books talk about when things get
wrong and why and how to fix...

(2) Books with meaningful finance, macroeconomics, trading and
business applications.

Thank you for your help!

Re: [R-SIG-Finance] please recommend statistics, time series and econometrics books with finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications

braverock
Michael wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please recommend good books for the following three categories. (I am
> aim at finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications).
>
> (1) statistical (financial) data analysis;
> (2) time series;
> (3) econometrics.
>
> More specifically, I am looking for the following two types of books:
>
> (1) Books that provide big pictures and intuitions and books that
> connect dots...
>
> For example, there are lots of statistics books(e.g. regression,
> etc.), time series, and econometrics books, many of them are quite
> mathematical. I am myself from a quantitative background so I don't
> have problem understanding the math, however I am looking for
> resources that provide big pictures and intuitions and books that
> connect dots together, books that compare the differences and
> similarities and books that talks about why and how (e.g. why ARMA,
> why "log", why GARCH, etc. ) and books talk about when things get
> wrong and why and how to fix...
>
> (2) Books with meaningful finance, macroeconomics, trading and
> business applications.

This topic, in almost exactly the same request, comes up frequently on
this list.  I suggest that you search the list archives.

Regards,

     - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson
http://braverock.com/brian/

Re: [R-SIG-Finance] please recommend statistics, time series and econometrics books with finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications

Spencer Graves
      One book is Ruey Tsay (2005)  Analysis of Financial Time Series,
2nd ed. (Wiley).  The R package "FinTS" provides script files to that
show how to work some of the example in the book.

      Try also "RSiteSearch" (www.r-project.org -> search PLUS the
"RSiteSearch" function in R) for more options, as Brian Peterson
suggested.

      Good Luck.
      Spencer Graves

Brian G. Peterson wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Please recommend good books for the following three categories. (I am
>> aim at finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications).
>>
>> (1) statistical (financial) data analysis;
>> (2) time series;
>> (3) econometrics.
>>
>> More specifically, I am looking for the following two types of books:
>>
>> (1) Books that provide big pictures and intuitions and books that
>> connect dots...
>>
>> For example, there are lots of statistics books(e.g. regression,
>> etc.), time series, and econometrics books, many of them are quite
>> mathematical. I am myself from a quantitative background so I don't
>> have problem understanding the math, however I am looking for
>> resources that provide big pictures and intuitions and books that
>> connect dots together, books that compare the differences and
>> similarities and books that talks about why and how (e.g. why ARMA,
>> why "log", why GARCH, etc. ) and books talk about when things get
>> wrong and why and how to fix...
>>
>> (2) Books with meaningful finance, macroeconomics, trading and
>> business applications.
>
> This topic, in almost exactly the same request, comes up frequently on
> this list.  I suggest that you search the list archives.
>
> Regards,
>
>     - Brian

Re: [R-SIG-Finance] please recommend statistics, time series and econometrics books with finance, macroeconomics, trading and business applications

LosemindL
I have read these books already... still searching for better books ...