plotting data when all you have is the summary data

plotting data when all you have is the summary data

Chaudhari, Bimal
Are there functions/packages which support plots (bar and/or line) where
I provide the point estimate and some error measure rather than the raw
data?

I often have to summarize/present data from multiple sources where the
original data is unavailable and do not yet have a good solution for
this.

Thanks,
bimal

Bimal P Chaudhari, MPH
Boston University
MD Candidate, 2011
Washington University in St. Louis
MS Candidate, 2010
Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellow
314-286-2864

Re: plotting data when all you have is the summary data

David Winsemius

On May 10, 2010, at 6:17 PM, Chaudhari, Bimal wrote:

> Are there functions/packages which support plots (bar and/or line)
> where
> I provide the point estimate and some error measure rather than the
> raw
> data?
>
> I often have to summarize/present data from multiple sources where the
> original data is unavailable and do not yet have a good solution for
> this.

There are R packages that support meta analysis. Learn to search,
grasshopper.

> Thanks,
> bimal
>
> Bimal P Chaudhari, MPH
> Boston University
> MD Candidate, 2011
> Washington University in St. Louis
> MS Candidate, 2010

David Winsemius, MD, MPH
West Hartford, CT

Re: plotting data when all you have is the summary data

Sam Albers
Bimal,

in the "memisc" packages:

?panel.errbars

This might be a good option for you.

HTH,

Sam

Re: plotting data when all you have is the summary data

Jim Lemon
On 05/11/2010 08:17 AM, Chaudhari, Bimal wrote:
> Are there functions/packages which support plots (bar and/or line) where
> I provide the point estimate and some error measure rather than the raw
> data?
>
> I often have to summarize/present data from multiple sources where the
> original data is unavailable and do not yet have a good solution for
> this.

Hi Bimal,
The bar and line plots of the summary measures are easy using the "plot"
and "barplot" functions. Adding the error measures is but a little more
complicated. See the R-FAQ 7.38.

Jim