r achives

rayt
sorry but how do i accsess r archives

Re: r achives

Uwe Ligges

raymond chiruka wrote:
> sorry but how do i accsess r archives

Which archives, R version? Package versions? Mailing list archives????

Uwe Ligges

Re: r achives

Ted.Harding-2
On 19-Oct-07 09:36:52, raymond chiruka wrote:
> sorry but how do i accsess r archives

If you mean the archive of postings to the R-help list,
then:

  http://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

For a general search through R-related material (including
R-help):

  http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/nmz.html

Arcbives of older versions of R and of packages can be
found on CRAN sites by digging down the various "R Sources",
"R Binaries" and "Packages" branches, e.g.

"R Sources" -> "Older releases are available here."

"Packages" -> "Archived " and/or "Orphaned"
(right at the bottom of the list of individual packages).

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 19-Oct-07                                       Time: 11:36:22

Re: r achives

Alan Zaslavsky
I think that should be

     https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

(note https prefix)

> From: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [R] r achives
>
> On 19-Oct-07 09:36:52, raymond chiruka wrote:
> > sorry but how do i accsess r archives
>
> If you mean the archive of postings to the R-help list,
> then:
>
>   http://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

Re: r achives

John Sorkin
Might I suggest that the Email deamon include the URL of the archives to the footer it attaches to Email messages.
Johh

John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
Baltimore VA Medical Center GRECC,
University of Maryland School of Medicine Claude D. Pepper OAIC,
University of Maryland Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, and
Baltimore VA Center Stroke of Excellence

University of Maryland School of Medicine
Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524

(Phone) 410-605-7119
>>> Alan Zaslavsky <[hidden email]> 10/20/07 9:53 AM >>>
I think that should be

     https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

(note https prefix)

> From: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [R] r achives
>
> On 19-Oct-07 09:36:52, raymond chiruka wrote:
> > sorry but how do i accsess r archives
>
> If you mean the archive of postings to the R-help list,
> then:
>
>   http://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for th...{{dropped:6}}

Re: r achives

Ted.Harding-2
On 20-Oct-07 13:53:11, Alan Zaslavsky wrote:
> I think that should be
>
>      https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/
>
> (note https prefix)

Well, I thought so too: My "bookmark" has https.
But, in replying to Raymond Chiruka, I wondered whether
the https was necessary. So I tried http, and it worked.
But now it does not work, but https does work; so: Yes,
you are right, and it should be as you say!

Ted.

Date: 20-Oct-07                                       Time: 15:36:12

Re: r achives [follow-up]

Ted.Harding-2
On 20-Oct-07 15:23:25, Ted Harding wrote:

> On 20-Oct-07 13:53:11, Alan Zaslavsky wrote:
>> I think that should be
>>
>>      https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/
>>
>> (note https prefix)
>
> Well, I thought so too: My "bookmark" has https.
> But, in replying to Raymond Chiruka, I wondered whether
> the https was necessary. So I tried http, and it worked.
> But now it does not work, but https does work; so: Yes,
> you are right, and it should be as you say!
>
> Ted.

Follow-up: Having tried the "http" as above, and failing
to connect, I then tried "https", and was connected.
But now I have I tried "http" again, and it connected.
Probably what happened in the first place was that I was
carrying a cookie from a previous connection, so "http"
worked at that time (and I mis-interpreted the outcome).

But, as a matter of interest, why is "https" needed for
that site?

Ted.

Date: 20-Oct-07                                       Time: 16:29:05

Re: r achives

Peter Dalgaard
John Sorkin wrote:
> Might I suggest that the Email deamon include the URL of the archives to the footer it attaches to Email messages.
> Johh

Er, it is one click from what is in there already. Is it really not
possible for people to guess that the archives for a mailing list might
be found via the link to the list itself?

   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph:  (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([hidden email])                  FAX: (+45) 35327907

Substitute in function calling a function

Steve Powell-4
Dear list members,
I am writing some functions to help with printing graphs.
If I want to return the name of a variable within a function, for instance
to print the label for a graph, I know that I can use substitute:
fun=function(x) substitute(x)   #plus of course some other processing
var=1:3
fun(var) #prints "var" as required, not "x".

But if I call this function in another function
fun2=function(y) fun(y) #plus of course some other processing
fun2(var) #prints "y" when what I wanted was "var"

I have tried lots of tricks using eval and expression but can't seem to get
it right. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Steve Powell

proMENTE social research
research | evaluation | training & consulting

Kranjčevićeva 35, 71000 Sarajevo
mobile: +387 61 215 997 | office: +387 33 556 865 | fax: +387 33 556 866
skype: stevepowell99
www.promente.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

19.10.2007
05:10

Re: Substitute in function calling a function

Felix Andrews
I think the usual thing would be to pass substitute(x) or
deparse(substitute(x)) from the original function (fun2 in your
example).

But if you really want to, you can do
fun <- function(x) eval.parent(call("substitute", substitute(x)))

On 10/22/07, Steve Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list members,
> I am writing some functions to help with printing graphs.
> If I want to return the name of a variable within a function, for instance
> to print the label for a graph, I know that I can use substitute:
> fun=function(x) substitute(x)   #plus of course some other processing
> var=1:3
> fun(var) #prints "var" as required, not "x".
>
> But if I call this function in another function
> fun2=function(y) fun(y) #plus of course some other processing
> fun2(var) #prints "y" when what I wanted was "var"
>
> I have tried lots of tricks using eval and expression but can't seem to get
> it right. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve Powell
>
> proMENTE social research
> research | evaluation | training & consulting
>
> Kranjčevićeva 35, 71000 Sarajevo
> mobile: +387 61 215 997 | office: +387 33 556 865 | fax: +387 33 556 866
> skype: stevepowell99
> www.promente.org
>

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>
> 19.10.2007
> 05:10

Felix Andrews / 安福立
PhD candidate
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management Centre
The Fenner School of Environment and Society
The Australian National University (Building 48A), ACT 0200
Beijing Bag, Locked Bag 40, Kingston ACT 2604
http://www.neurofractal.org/felix/
3358 543D AAC6 22C2 D336  80D9 360B 72DD 3E4C F5D8

Re: Substitute in function calling a function

Prof Brian Ripley
I am not sure what the general rule you are looking for is.  Using
deparse(substitute()) gets you the print-value of the expression (in your
case a name) for the actual argument.  But if you want to go back
generations of calls, then just when do you stop?

What you can do is write fun2 to use substitute() to create a call with
actual argument 'var', but then you need to ensure that var exists in the
local frame.

I find your code unreadable: please follow the advice in 'Writing R
Extensions' when posting code.  Here's a sketch:

fun <- function(x) deparse(substitute(x))

fun2 <- function(y)
{
    nm <- deparse(substitute(y))
    assign(nm, y)