readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Sean Davis
I have been trying to use the gunzip function in the R.utils package.  It
opens a connection to a gzfile, uses readBin to read from that connection,
and then uses writeBin to write out the raw data to a new file.  This works
as expected under linux/mac, but under Windows, I get:

Error in readBin(inn, what= raw(0), size = 1, n=BFR.SIZE)  :
  negative length vectors are not allowed

A simple traceback shows the error in readBin.  I wouldn't be surprised if
this is a programming issue not located in readBin, but I am confused about
the difference in behaviors on Windows versus mac/linux.  Any insight into
what I can do to remedy the issue and have a cross-platform gunzip()?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Uwe Ligges
Can you give a reproducible example, pelase?

Uwe Ligges

Sean Davis wrote:

> I have been trying to use the gunzip function in the R.utils package.  It
> opens a connection to a gzfile, uses readBin to read from that connection,
> and then uses writeBin to write out the raw data to a new file.  This works
> as expected under linux/mac, but under Windows, I get:
>
> Error in readBin(inn, what= raw(0), size = 1, n=BFR.SIZE)  :
>   negative length vectors are not allowed
>
> A simple traceback shows the error in readBin.  I wouldn't be surprised if
> this is a programming issue not located in readBin, but I am confused about
> the difference in behaviors on Windows versus mac/linux.  Any insight into
> what I can do to remedy the issue and have a cross-platform gunzip()?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

Re: readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Sean Davis
Sorry, Uwe.  Of course:

Both in relatively recent R-devel (one mac, one windows):

### gunzip pulled from R.utils to be a simple function
### In R.utils, implemented as a method
gunzip <- function(filename, destname=gsub("[.]gz$", "", filename),
overwrite=FALSE, remove=TRUE, BFR.SIZE=1e7) {
  if (filename == destname)
    stop(sprintf("Argument 'filename' and 'destname' are identical: %s",
filename));
  if (!overwrite && file.exists(destname))
    stop(sprintf("File already exists: %s", destname));

  inn <- gzfile(filename, "rb");
  on.exit(if (!is.null(inn)) close(inn));

  out <- file(destname, "wb");
  on.exit(close(out), add=TRUE);

  nbytes <- 0;
  repeat {
    bfr <- readBin(inn, what=raw(0), size=1, n=BFR.SIZE);
    n <- length(bfr);
    if (n == 0)
      break;
    nbytes <- nbytes + n;
    writeBin(bfr, con=out, size=1);
  };

  if (remove) {
    close(inn);
    inn <- NULL;
    file.remove(filename);
  }

  invisible(nbytes);
}
download.file('
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE1/GSE1_series_matrix.txt.gz','test.txt.gz'
)
gunzip('test.txt.gz')

Under windows, this results in the error reported below.  Under mac and
linux, results in test.txt being created in the current working directory.
The actual gunzip function is pretty bare bones, so I don't think it
complicates matters much to use it in this example.

Sean

On Dec 31, 2007 1:24 PM, Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Can you give a reproducible example, pelase?
>
> Uwe Ligges
>

> Sean Davis wrote:
> > I have been trying to use the gunzip function in the R.utils package.
>  It
> > opens a connection to a gzfile, uses readBin to read from that
> connection,
> > and then uses writeBin to write out the raw data to a new file.  This
> works
> > as expected under linux/mac, but under Windows, I get:
> >
> > Error in readBin(inn, what= raw(0), size = 1, n=BFR.SIZE)  :
> >   negative length vectors are not allowed
> >
> > A simple traceback shows the error in readBin.  I wouldn't be surprised
> if
> > this is a programming issue not located in readBin, but I am confused
> about
> > the difference in behaviors on Windows versus mac/linux.  Any insight
> into
> > what I can do to remedy the issue and have a cross-platform gunzip()?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sean

Re: readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Uwe Ligges
I see. It is either a bug or something related to the following
paragraph from ?seek:

      We have found so many errors in the Windows implementation of file
      positioning that users are advised to use it only at their own
      risk, and asked not to waste the R developers' time with bug
      reports on Windows' deficiencies.

I will investigate more closely when I am back in office end of this week.

Best,
Uwe

Sean Davis wrote:

> [...]
>      >
>      > A simple traceback shows the error in readBin.  I wouldn't be
>     surprised if
>      > this is a programming issue not located in readBin, but I am
>     confused about
>      > the difference in behaviors on Windows versus mac/linux.  Any
>     insight into
>      > what I can do to remedy the issue and have a cross-platform gunzip()?
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      > Sean
>      >
>      >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>      >
>      > ______________________________________________
>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

Re: readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Henrik Bengtsson
Also make sure the problem is not due to downloading a gzip file in
text mode, because to the best of my understanding that is platform
dependent.  That is, use download.file(..., mode="wb") instead of the
default, which is mode="w".  (This is such a common error that I would
like to suggest mode="wb" to become the default.)

/Henrik

On 01/01/2008, Henrik Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also make sure the problem is not due to downloading a gzip file in
> text mode, because to the best of my understanding that is platform
> dependent.  That is, use download.file(..., mode="wb") instead of the
> default, which is mode="w".  (This is such a common error that I would
> like to suggest mode="wb" to become the default.)

Ok, that solves the problem with your example file.   On WinXP/R v2.6.1:

> library(R.utils)
> uri <- "ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE1/GSE1_series_matrix.txt.gz"

> download.file(uri, "test.txt.gz")  # mode="w"
trying URL 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE1/GSE1_series_ma
trix.txt.gz'
ftp data connection made, file length 918804 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 897 Kb
> file.info("test.txt.gz")$size
[1] 922243

> download.file(uri, "test2.txt.gz")
ftp data connection made, file length 918804 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 897 Kb
> file.info("test2.txt.gz")$size
[1] 918804

> gunzip("test.txt.gz")
Error in readBin(inn, what = raw(0), size = 1, n = BFR.SIZE) :
  negative length vectors are not allowed
> gunzip("test2.txt.gz")
> file.info("test2.txt")$size
[1] 3338362

/H

> [...]
> > >      >
> > >      > A simple traceback shows the error in readBin.  I wouldn't be
> > >     surprised if
> > >      > this is a programming issue not located in readBin, but I am
> > >     confused about
> > >      > the difference in behaviors on Windows versus mac/linux.  Any
> > >     insight into
> > >      > what I can do to remedy the issue and have a cross-platform gunzip()?
> > >      >
> > >      > Thanks,
> > >      > Sean
> > >      >
> > >      >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
> > >      >
> > >      > ______________________________________________
> > >      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
> > >      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

Re: readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Thank you, Henrik! This saves us a lot of time!

Uwe

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> On 01/01/2008, Henrik Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Also make sure the problem is not due to downloading a gzip file in
>> text mode, because to the best of my understanding that is platform
>> dependent.  That is, use download.file(..., mode="wb") instead of the
>> default, which is mode="w".  (This is such a common error that I would
>> like to suggest mode="wb" to become the default.)
>
> Ok, that solves the problem with your example file.   On WinXP/R v2.6.1:
>
>> library(R.utils)
>> uri <- "ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE1/GSE1_series_matrix.txt.gz"
>
>> download.file(uri, "test.txt.gz")  # mode="w"
> trying URL 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE1/GSE1_series_ma
> trix.txt.gz'
> ftp data connection made, file length 918804 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 897 Kb
>> file.info("test.txt.gz")$size
> [1] 922243
>
>> download.file(uri, "test2.txt.gz")
> ftp data connection made, file length 918804 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 897 Kb
>> file.info("test2.txt.gz")$size
> [1] 918804
>
>> gunzip("test.txt.gz")
> Error in readBin(inn, what = raw(0), size = 1, n = BFR.SIZE) :
>   negative length vectors are not allowed
>> gunzip("test2.txt.gz")
>> file.info("test2.txt")$size
> [1] 3338362
>
> /H
>
>> /Henrik
>>
>> On 01/01/2008, Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I see. It is either a bug or something related to the following
>>> paragraph from ?seek:
>>>
>>>       We have found so many errors in the Windows implementation of file
>>>       positioning that users are advised to use it only at their own
>>>       risk, and asked not to waste the R developers' time with bug
>>>       reports on Windows' deficiencies.
>>>
>>> I will investigate more closely when I am back in office end of this week.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Uwe

Re: readBin differences on Windows and Linux/mac

Sean Davis
On Jan 1, 2008 12:36 PM, Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you, Henrik! This saves us a lot of time!
>
> Uwe
>

> Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> > On 01/01/2008, Henrik Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Also make sure the problem is not due to downloading a gzip file in
> >> text mode, because to the best of my understanding that is platform
> >> dependent.  That is, use download.file(..., mode="wb") instead of the
> >> default, which is mode="w".  (This is such a common error that I would
> >> like to suggest mode="wb" to become the default.)

Great!!  Thanks, Henrik and Uwe.

Sean