remote access

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

remote access

Altshuler Eugeny
Hello!

I have such trouble: I like R, but often I don't have administrator
permissions to install R on some (not mine) computers.

Could you give me shell on any server with R installed in order to apply
R without installing it (simply with PuTTY).

Great thanks!
--

   Best regards,
   Altshuler Eugeny

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: remote access

Duncan Murdoch
On 2/12/2006 4:07 PM, Altshuler Eugeny wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have such trouble: I like R, but often I don't have administrator
> permissions to install R on some (not mine) computers.

Current versions of R don't need admin access to install.  Just change
the default directory to one where you have write permission.

Duncan Murdoch

>
> Could you give me shell on any server with R installed in order to apply
> R without installing it (simply with PuTTY).
>
> Great thanks!

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: remote access

Pikounis, Bill [CNTUS]
In reply to this post by Altshuler Eugeny
Hello Altshuler:
Complete, helpful details related to what Duncan Murdoch points out below
are in the R Installation and Administration manual. If you wish to build
and use R without "admin access" in a "Unix-alike", see chapter 2. (Can't
tell from your message except for your message of shell and PuTTY.)

I am able for example to use R on a orphan Linux machine at work where I
have no influence on configuration: I just built R from source in my home
directory as the manual instructs, and then set an alias in my .bash_profile
file like:

alias R='/home/bpikouni/downloads/R-2.2.1/bin/R'

Works like a charm thru SSH PuTTY (Windows) with X11 forwarding and a local
Cygwin X-server installed for graphical devices.

Hope that helps,
Bill

-------------------------------
Bill Pikounis, PhD
Nonclinical Statistics
Centocor, Inc.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]]On Behalf Of Duncan Murdoch
> Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:26 PM
> To: Altshuler Eugeny
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [R] remote access
>
>
> On 2/12/2006 4:07 PM, Altshuler Eugeny wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have such trouble: I like R, but often I don't have administrator
> > permissions to install R on some (not mine) computers.
>
> Current versions of R don't need admin access to install.  
> Just change
> the default directory to one where you have write permission.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> >
> > Could you give me shell on any server with R installed in
> order to apply
> > R without installing it (simply with PuTTY).
> >
> > Great thanks!
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide!
> http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html