replacePatterns() for multiple words replacement in tm

replacePatterns() for multiple words replacement in tm

Lamke
Hi all,

I wonder how you can replace all words that need to be changed using replacePatterns().  The following is my code.  I want to replace both "abc" and "def" to " Yes ".  However, I can only replace the first occurrence in sample[[1]].

> sample[[1]]
[1] abc def ghi
> change <- c("abc","def")
> replacePatterns(sample[[1]],change," Yes ")
[1] Yes def ghi

Thank you so much!!!!

Re: re placePatterns() for multiple words replacement in tm

Bert Gunter
Don't use replacePatterns() (-- and what package is that from, btw??).

gsub("abc|def","Yes",sample[[1]])

Incidentally, "sample" is a rather bad name for your dataset, as it is the
name of a commonly use R function. Ergo, possibility of confusion.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatisics

I wonder how you can replace all words that need to be changed using
replacePatterns().  The following is my code.  I want to replace both "abc"
and "def" to " Yes ".  However, I can only replace the first occurrence in
sample[[1]].

> sample[[1]]
[1] abc def ghi
> change <- c("abc","def")
> replacePatterns(sample[[1]],change," Yes ")
[1] Yes def ghi

Thank you so much!!!!

I wonder how you can replace all words that need to be changed using
replacePatterns().  The following is my code.  I want to replace both "abc"
and "def" to " Yes ".  However, I can only replace the first occurrence in
sample[[1]].

> sample[[1]]
[1] abc def ghi