reverse dependency checks

R devel mailing list
There are some nice tools to automate reverse dependency checks, but for a large package
the real issue is the envirionment.  The description of the crandalf site on github has a
nice summary.  One package uses a cryto libraries (oops, install those), another uses some
latex macros I've never heard of, etc.    In any case, I am seeing some failures in my
reverse checks for survival that I'm not sure how to fix.   If anyone has a hint or two
I'd be grateful.

1. A half dozen fail with "graphics API mismatch"

2. Over a dozen have a latex failure of
! pdfTeX error (\pdfsetmatrix): Unrecognized format..
\AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
                                                   \fi \fi

A check of kpsewhich shows I have all the packages, and I don't see a pattern in the .tex
files at the point of failure.

Terry T.

--
Terry M Therneau, PhD
Department of Health Science Research

"TERR-ree THUR-noh"

Re: reverse dependency checks

Johannes Ranke-2
Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2021, 19:58:09 CET schrieb Therneau, Terry M.,
Ph.D. via R-devel:
> There are some nice tools to automate reverse dependency checks, but for a
> large package the real issue is the envirionment.  The description of the
> crandalf site on github has a nice summary.  One package uses a cryto
> libraries (oops, install those), another uses some latex macros I've never
> heard of, etc.    In any case, I am seeing some failures in my reverse
> checks for survival that I'm not sure how to fix.   If anyone has a hint or
> two I'd be grateful.
>
> 1. A half dozen fail with "graphics API mismatch"

Such error messages could occur if visual diffs (of SVG plots) are run with R >
4.0 (i.e. R-devel) where the reference files were generated with R <= 4.0. This
is described in

  https://github.com/r-lib/vdiffr/issues/86

However the vdiffr tests are only run if you set the NOT_CRAN environment
variable, for example because you use devtools for running tests, see

  https://github.com/r-lib/vdiffr#testing-versus-monitoring

Kind regards,

Johannes

Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2021, 22:36:38 CET schrieb Johannes Ranke:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. Februar 2021, 19:58:09 CET schrieb Therneau, Terry M.,

> > checks for survival that I'm not sure how to fix.   If anyone has a hint
> > or two I'd be grateful.
> >
> > 1. A half dozen fail with "graphics API mismatch"
>
> Such error messages could occur if visual diffs (of SVG plots) are run

I was not thinking clearly enought yesterday night (I hope I am this
morning...). These error message you are known to occur if a graphics package
such as svglite [1] has to be reinstalled. The error message has also been
associated  [2] to the issue I was referring to, but I am not sure this is
correct.

Johannes

[1] https://github.com/r-lib/svglite/issues/71
[2] https://github.com/r-lib/vdiffr/issues/103

> with
> R > 4.0 (i.e. R-devel) where the reference files were generated with R <=
> 4.0. This is described in
>
>   https://github.com/r-lib/vdiffr/issues/86
>
> However the vdiffr tests are only run if you set the NOT_CRAN environment
> variable, for example because you use devtools for running tests, see
>
>   https://github.com/r-lib/vdiffr#testing-versus-monitoring
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Johannes
>
> > 2. Over a dozen have a latex failure of
> > ! pdfTeX error (\pdfsetmatrix): Unrecognized format..
> > \AtBegShi@Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
> >
> >                                                    \fi \fi
> >
> > A check of kpsewhich shows I have all the packages, and I don't see a
> > pattern in the .tex files at the point of failure.
> >
> > Terry T.

Johannes Ranke
Wissenschaftlicher Berater
07624 8099027