rmgarch: source package installation problem

rmgarch: source package installation problem

Pietro Coretto

Dear Users

I tried to install the package "rmgarch". While installing binaries for
Windows and MacOS didn't cause any issue. The source package
installation doesn't work.

I tried it on three different OS: Linux Ubuntu 18.04 (64bit), Windows 10
Pro (64bit) and MacOS Catalina. In all three cases I have worked with a
fresh R 3.6.2 install. I contacted the maintainer of the package who
said that it can't reproduce the same issue and that CRAN checks are fine.

Below I report the console output when installing "rmgarch" on my Ubuntu
18.04 LTS (64bit). I skip the messages regarding installation of the
required packages (they all installed without issues):

https://pastebin.com/J6XHaP28

I have installed many other packages from source (unsing C, C++, RCpp,
fortran code, etc) without any issue.

Here the output of  sessionInfo() at the end.

https://pastebin.com/z7ZwU9iR

I hope somebody can tell me what may cause this.

Regards
Pietro

Re: rmgarch: source package installation problem

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 30/12/2019 5:59 a.m., Pietro Coretto wrote:

> Dear Users
>
> I tried to install the package "rmgarch". While installing binaries for
> Windows and MacOS didn't cause any issue. The source package
> installation doesn't work.
>
> I tried it on three different OS: Linux Ubuntu 18.04 (64bit), Windows 10
> Pro (64bit) and MacOS Catalina. In all three cases I have worked with a
> fresh R 3.6.2 install. I contacted the maintainer of the package who
> said that it can't reproduce the same issue and that CRAN checks are fine.
>
> Below I report the console output when installing "rmgarch" on my Ubuntu
> 18.04 LTS (64bit). I skip the messages regarding installation of the
> required packages (they all installed without issues):
>

> https://pastebin.com/J6XHaP28
>
> I have installed many other packages from source (unsing C, C++, RCpp,
> fortran code, etc) without any issue.
>

> Here the output of  sessionInfo() at the end.
>
> https://pastebin.com/z7ZwU9iR
>

> I hope somebody can tell me what may cause this.

You didn't show us the command you used to install it.

On 30/12/2019 12.11, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 30/12/2019 5:59 a.m., Pietro Coretto wrote:
[...]
> You didn't show us the command you used to install it.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Sorry for this,

I used the following:

install.packages("rmgarch")

from the linux command line, using both a regular user account and root.
Same issue anyway

Thanks
Pietro

Re: [FORGED] Re: rmgarch: source package installation problem

Rolf Turner

On 31/12/19 12:29 am, Pietro Coretto wrote:

> On 30/12/2019 12.11, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 30/12/2019 5:59 a.m., Pietro Coretto wrote:
> [...]
>> You didn't show us the command you used to install it.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>

> Sorry for this,
>

> I used the following:
>
> install.packages("rmgarch")
>
> from the linux command line, using both a regular user account and root.
> Same issue anyway.

Did you *really* issue that command from the linux command line?  This
makes no sense at all.  That is a command to be issued from the R console.

Under Linux, that command, issued from the R console, will I believe
install from source.  Under Windoze or Mac OS this is (as I understand
it) not the case.

To install from source under Mac OS I *think* you should:

(1) Download the source package rmgarch_1.3-7.tar.gz from CRAN

(2) From the command line (in a terminal window) issue the command

     R CMD INSTALL rmgarch_1.3-7.tar.gz -l <library name>

     where "<library name>" is the name of the directory in which you
     keep your "privately" installed packages.

     You need ("of course") to have all the necessary tools and compilers
     installed for this to work.

     The source "rmgarch_1.3-7.tar.gz" must be place in the same
     directory as that from which you opened the terminal window.

Something like this should also work under Windoze, but there are
probably extra "gotchas" under that system, and I can give you no
guidance there.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics

Re: [FORGED] Re: rmgarch: source package installation problem

Rolf Turner

On 2/01/20 9:51 pm, Pietro Coretto wrote:

<SNIP>

> No problem Rolf. Thanks for you interest. But the problem is still
> unsolved!

I experimented and found that I too could not install rmgarch.  However
the string of error messages that I got was quite different from yours.

I did some scrounging around and after a bit of trial and error found
that I needed to do:

sudo apt-get install libgmp3-dev
sudo apt-get install libmpfr-dev

Then the R command

    install.packages("rmgarch",lib="~/Rlib")

worked.  (Note that "~/Rlib" is where I keep my "contributed" packages.)

This is under Ubuntu 18.04.  I don't know if this will work for you
since, as I said, the error messages that I initially got were different
from those that you got.

*Don't* ask me about what to do under Mac OSX or (God save us!) under
Windoze!!! :-)

cheers,

Rolf

P.S. I have taken the liberty of CC-ing this to the r-help list in case
it is of interest to others or in case others may have useful
contributions to add.

R.

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics

Re: [FORGED] Re: rmgarch: source package installation problem

Pietro Coretto
Dear All

I could solve the problem: I removed my .Rprofile and I could install
the package via the usual

install.packages("rmgarch")

My .Rprofile contains few settings, therefore, it was not too difficult
to understand what was conflicting with the installation.  The issue in
.Rprofile was the following

q <-  function (save="no", ...) {
    quit(save=save, ...)
}