rpad ?

sjaffe
Is anyone using rpad? Is there any documentation or examples beyond that in the 'man' directory of the source?

Re: rpad ?

sjaffe
Based on a private response, it seems that rpad is no longer being maintained and in fact no longer works with the latest R release.  I noticed that the web site listed in the FAQ no longer works, the code is being hosted by google code but it appears no one is working on it.

Looking at the "R Web Interfaces" section of the R FAQ I don't really see anything comparable -- does anyone have a suggestion for a similar web-based front-end to R?

From the FAQ:

Rpad, developed and actively maintained by Tom Short, provides a sophisticated environment which combines some of the features of the previous approaches with quite a bit of JavaScript, allowing for a GUI-like behavior (with sortable tables, clickable graphics, editable output), etc.

Re: rpad ?

Sharpie
sjaffe wrote
Based on a private response, it seems that rpad is no longer being maintained and in fact no longer works with the latest R release.  I noticed that the web site listed in the FAQ no longer works, the code is being hosted by google code but it appears no one is working on it.

Looking at the "R Web Interfaces" section of the R FAQ I don't really see anything comparable -- does anyone have a suggestion for a similar web-based front-end to R?
You could try Sage:

  http://www.sagemath.org

You can get a notebook account at:

  http://www.sagenb.org

Sage uses python to integrate several open-source and closed-source mathmatics/computation packages and R is among one of the options available.  It provides a nice Mathematica-like notebook interface where you can mix computations and annotations.  If you don't want to type Sage code, just choose 'r' from the drop-down menu at the top of the worksheet next to the "Typeset" checkbox and the contents of every cell you enter will be passed directly to R for evaluation.

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University

Re: rpad ?

sjaffe
Sharpie wrote
You could try Sage:

  http://www.sagemath.org
Yes, I've tried Sage (briefly) and it is very interesting. But what I'm looking for here is a client-server system that allows multiple users to access the results of R without exposing the details.

Re: rpad ?

Sharpie
sjaffe wrote
Yes, I've tried Sage (briefly) and it is very interesting. But what I'm looking for here is a client-server system that allows multiple users to access the results of R without exposing the details.
Maybe you're looking for something similar to this webapp:

  http://rweb.stat.ucla.edu/ggplot2/

The author's website is at:

  http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~jeroen/live.html

I believe he used RApache to drive the site, but I'm not positive.  The widgets are done in ExtJS.

-Charlie
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University

Re: rpad ?

Erich Neuwirth
We are using RPad for a teaching application here.
But we had to find many things the hard way,
and additionally, it did not survive the latest R release change.
There is a minimal repair, but the maintainer does not answer any email
any more. We did the repair and are giving a modified version to our
students, but we do not have enough resource to take over maintenance.

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science

Re: rpad ?

Philippe Grosjean

You could try svSocket that creates a socket server where several
clients can connect simultaneously. The server is restricted to local
clients for obvious security reasons, but if you would like to access it
though a network, you can use stunnel to transfer the data crypted with SSL.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean

..............................................<°}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (

On 23/03/10 20:57, sjaffe wrote:

> Sharpie wrote:
>>
>> You could try Sage:
>>
>>    http://www.sagemath.org
>>

> Yes, I've tried Sage (briefly) and it is very interesting. But what I'm
> looking for here is a client-server system that allows multiple users to
> access the results of R without exposing the details.

Re: rpad ?

jverzaniNWBKZ
sjaffe <sjaffe <at> riskspan.com> writes:

> Sharpie wrote:
> >
> > You could try Sage:
> >
> >   http://www.sagemath.org
> >

> Yes, I've tried Sage (briefly) and it is very interesting. But what I'm
> looking for here is a client-server system that allows multiple users to
> access the results of R without exposing the details.

You might find gWidgetsWWW able to do what you want. Some demos are here:

www.math.csi.cuny.edu/gWidgetsWWW

--John

Re: rpad ?

Tom Short-2
As the author of Rpad, I'll say that it is officially abandoned. I
just don't have the time or the need for my job. If someone is
interested in maintaining it, I'll try to answer questions (the email
address listed on the package hasn't worked for a while, and the
mailing list got overwhelmed with spam).

Of the other R web interfaces I've played with or looked at, RApache
is the most promising. It offers more performance and security than
the Rpad approach. You can also make some pretty interactive pages.
The trade-off is that it's harder to build applications (the last time
I looked anyway). To get interactivity, the RApache approach requires
a fair amount of javascript programming. Rpad gives you interactivity
fairly automatically as a webpage with embedded R code.

- Tom

Tom Short

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Erich Neuwirth
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are using RPad for a teaching application here.
> But we had to find many things the hard way,
> and additionally, it did not survive the latest R release change.
> There is a minimal repair, but the maintainer does not answer any email
> any more. We did the repair and are giving a modified version to our
> students, but we do not have enough resource to take over maintenance.
>

> On 3/23/2010 8:00 PM, sjaffe wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone using rpad? Is there any documentation or examples beyond that in
>> the 'man' directory of the source?
>>

> --
> Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
> Faculty of Computer Science
> Computer Supported Didactics Working Group
> Visit our SunSITE at http://sunsite.univie.ac.at
> Phone: +43-1-4277-39464 Fax: +43-1-4277-39459

Re: rpad ?

Bos, Roger-2
Erich,

I use Rpad actively so I am disappointed to hear it is no longer being
updated.  Would you be willing to share your modifications with the
list, or at least with me?

Thanks,

Roger

We are using RPad for a teaching application here.
But we had to find many things the hard way, and additionally, it did
not survive the latest R release change.
There is a minimal repair, but the maintainer does not answer any email
any more. We did the repair and are giving a modified version to our
students, but we do not have enough resource to take over maintenance.

On 3/23/2010 8:00 PM, sjaffe wrote:

> Is anyone using rpad? Is there any documentation or examples beyond
> that in the 'man' directory of the source?

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science
Computer Supported Didactics Working Group Visit our SunSITE at
http://sunsite.univie.ac.at
Phone: +43-1-4277-39464 Fax: +43-1-4277-39459

Re: rpad ?

Erich Neuwirth
I found the repair by googling.
You have to get the source and buld the package.
The change needed is in HtmlTree.R

You have to add return(str) at the end of the function definition.
The reason is that for loops now return NULL,
they returned (I think) the value of the last interation
if the looped statement before.

"HTMLargs" <- function(x) {
  # returns a string with the arguments as a="arg1", b="arg2", and so on
  names <- names(x)
  if (length(x) > 0) str <- " " else str <- ""
  for (i in seq(along = x))
    str <- paste(str, names[i], "=", jsQuote(x[[i]]), " ", sep = "")
# next code line added by EN, necessary under under R 2.10
# due to changes how for works
  return(str)
}

I found the solution here