smoothScatter() and the KernSmooth package

smoothScatter() and the KernSmooth package

Witold E Wolski
Hello,

I am getting the following error when running a package check
```
  Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'KernSmooth'
  Calls: <Anonymous> ... loadNamespace -> withRestarts ->
withOneRestart -> doWithOneRestart
  Execution halted
```

The error happens in a function which calls graphics::smoothScatter

I found this e-mail on the r-devel list where this problem is also reported.
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2015-February/070671.html

So I could add KernSmooth to Suggest in the DESCRIPTION but I have a
few questions:
(and I am citing from the e-mail above to which I could not find a reply):

"I have a few questions: isn't it unusual the way smoothScatter calls

grDevices:::.smoothScatterCalcDensity() and KernSmooth::bkde2D(),
i.e., without requiring the packages?
Shouldn't "graphics" suggest "KernSmooth"?
"

best regards
Witek

--
Witold Eryk Wolski

Re: smoothScatter() and the KernSmooth package

Jeffrey Dick
Hi Witold,

See also this thread on R-pkg-devel. Quoting Duncan Murdoch, "That
looks like a bug in grDevices."

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2019q3/004287.html

Cheers,
Jeff

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 4:59 PM Witold E Wolski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am getting the following error when running a package check
> ```
>   Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'KernSmooth'
>   Calls: <Anonymous> ... loadNamespace -> withRestarts ->
> withOneRestart -> doWithOneRestart
>   Execution halted
> ```
>
> The error happens in a function which calls graphics::smoothScatter
>
> I found this e-mail on the r-devel list where this problem is also reported.
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2015-February/070671.html
>
> So I could add KernSmooth to Suggest in the DESCRIPTION but I have a
> few questions:
> (and I am citing from the e-mail above to which I could not find a reply):
>
> "I have a few questions: isn't it unusual the way smoothScatter calls
>
> grDevices:::.smoothScatterCalcDensity() and KernSmooth::bkde2D(),
> i.e., without requiring the packages?
> Shouldn't "graphics" suggest "KernSmooth"?
> "
>
> best regards
> Witek
>

> --
> Witold Eryk Wolski

Re: smoothScatter() and the KernSmooth package

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 19/06/2020 9:59 a.m., Jeffrey Dick wrote:
> Hi Witold,
>
> See also this thread on R-pkg-devel. Quoting Duncan Murdoch, "That
> looks like a bug in grDevices."

Yes, and the bug is still there:  grDevices:::.smoothScatterCalcDensity
calls KernSmooth::bkde2D without checking whether KernSmooth is available.

Duncan Murdoch

> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2019q3/004287.html
>
> Cheers,
> Jeff
>

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 4:59 PM Witold E Wolski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am getting the following error when running a package check
>> ```
>>    Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'KernSmooth'
>>    Calls: <Anonymous> ... loadNamespace -> withRestarts ->
>> withOneRestart -> doWithOneRestart
>>    Execution halted
>> ```
>>
>> The error happens in a function which calls graphics::smoothScatter
>>
>> I found this e-mail on the r-devel list where this problem is also reported.
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2015-February/070671.html
>>
>> So I could add KernSmooth to Suggest in the DESCRIPTION but I have a
>> few questions:
>> (and I am citing from the e-mail above to which I could not find a reply):
>>
>> "I have a few questions: isn't it unusual the way smoothScatter calls
>>
>> grDevices:::.smoothScatterCalcDensity() and KernSmooth::bkde2D(),
>> i.e., without requiring the packages?
>> Shouldn't "graphics" suggest "KernSmooth"?
>> "
>>
>> best regards
>> Witek
>>

>> --
>> Witold Eryk Wolski

Re: smoothScatter() and the KernSmooth package

Martin Maechler

    > On 19/06/2020 9:59 a.m., Jeffrey Dick wrote:
    >> Hi Witold,
    >>
    >> See also this thread on R-pkg-devel. Quoting Duncan Murdoch, "That
    >> looks like a bug in grDevices."

    > Yes, and the bug is still there:  grDevices:::.smoothScatterCalcDensity
    > calls KernSmooth::bkde2D without checking whether KernSmooth is available.

    > Duncan Murdoch

    >> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2019q3/004287.html

Thank you, Duncan.

I'm taking care of this now -- but just for R-devel, not the
upcoming 4.0.2

Martin