standard naming for components of R data structures

standard naming for components of R data structures

Steve Dutky
I need to write some documentation:

I'm looking for a standard, consistent way of referring  to the components
and attributes of R data structures.   Googling and Stackoverflow yield a
variety of github sites that do not seem to be particularly authoritative.

I was hoping to find a BNF/ABNF grammar for R.

I've looked at the output of bison -v ./R-3.6.2/src/main/gram.y but it does
not appear helpful.

I appreciate any suggestions for where to look or what to do.

Thanks, Steve

--

Ever tried, Ever failed, No Matter:

Try again, Fail again, Fail Better.

Samuel Beckett *Worstward Ho*

Re: standard naming for components of R data structures

Abby Spurdle
Do you just need something on pen and paper?
(In which case, I don't see why it needs to be "standard").

Or do you need something that can be used with bison/yacc/cup/etc to
produce a parser?

On a side note, I would say that the R Language Definition is the
"standard" way.
But I do recognize that this has a different flavour to modern
language implementation *theory*.

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-lang.html

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 5:17 AM Steve Dutky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to write some documentation:
>
> I'm looking for a standard, consistent way of referring  to the components
> and attributes of R data structures.   Googling and Stackoverflow yield a
> variety of github sites that do not seem to be particularly authoritative.
>
> I was hoping to find a BNF/ABNF grammar for R.
>
> I've looked at the output of bison -v ./R-3.6.2/src/main/gram.y but it does
> not appear helpful.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions for where to look or what to do.
>
> Thanks, Steve
>
> --
>
> Ever tried, Ever failed, No Matter:
>
> Try again, Fail again, Fail Better.
>
> Samuel Beckett *Worstward Ho*

Re: standard naming for components of R data structures

Steve Dutky
Thank you: the R Language Definition is very helpful.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 3:18 PM Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you just need something on pen and paper?
> (In which case, I don't see why it needs to be "standard").
>
> Or do you need something that can be used with bison/yacc/cup/etc to
> produce a parser?
>
> On a side note, I would say that the R Language Definition is the
> "standard" way.
> But I do recognize that this has a different flavour to modern
> language implementation *theory*.
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-lang.html
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 5:17 AM Steve Dutky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I need to write some documentation:
> >
> > I'm looking for a standard, consistent way of referring  to the
> components
> > and attributes of R data structures.   Googling and Stackoverflow yield a
> > variety of github sites that do not seem to be particularly
> authoritative.
> >
> > I was hoping to find a BNF/ABNF grammar for R.
> >
> > I've looked at the output of bison -v ./R-3.6.2/src/main/gram.y but it
> does
> > not appear helpful.
> >
> > I appreciate any suggestions for where to look or what to do.
> >
> > Thanks, Steve
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ever tried, Ever failed, No Matter:
> >
> > Try again, Fail again, Fail Better.
> >
> > Samuel Beckett *Worstward Ho*

Ever tried, Ever failed, No Matter:

Try again, Fail again, Fail Better.

Samuel Beckett *Worstward Ho*

Re: standard naming for components of R data structures

neonira Arinoem
@steve

Seek for online document named "writing R extensions" chapter 2. It tells
how to describe a list structure using item markup for R documentation
files, if indeed this matches your search, thing I am not sure. Something
that looks like...

value{
The \\code{list} owns following names
\\item{alpha}{double vector}
\\item{beta}{integer vector}
\\item{delta}{raw vector}
}

Best

Le lun. 6 janv. 2020 à 21:18, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Do you just need something on pen and paper?
> (In which case, I don't see why it needs to be "standard").
>
> Or do you need something that can be used with bison/yacc/cup/etc to
> produce a parser?
>
> On a side note, I would say that the R Language Definition is the
> "standard" way.
> But I do recognize that this has a different flavour to modern
> language implementation *theory*.
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-lang.html
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 5:17 AM Steve Dutky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I need to write some documentation:
> >
> > I'm looking for a standard, consistent way of referring  to the
> components
> > and attributes of R data structures.   Googling and Stackoverflow yield a
> > variety of github sites that do not seem to be particularly
> authoritative.
> >
> > I was hoping to find a BNF/ABNF grammar for R.
> >
> > I've looked at the output of bison -v ./R-3.6.2/src/main/gram.y but it
> does
> > not appear helpful.
> >
> > I appreciate any suggestions for where to look or what to do.
> >
> > Thanks, Steve
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ever tried, Ever failed, No Matter:
> >
> > Try again, Fail again, Fail Better.
> >
> > Samuel Beckett *Worstward Ho*

Re: standard naming for components of R data structures

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 06/01/2020 5:19 p.m., neonira Arinoem wrote:
> @steve
>
> Seek for online document named "writing R extensions" chapter 2. It tells

You hardly need to look for it online:  it is included with every copy
of R.  Just run help.start() in R (or look in the menus for the GUI
versions).

Duncan Murdoch