support for caron (hacek) symbol

Jonathan Callahan-3
I am creating a Slovak translation of an interactive website (
http://mazamascience.com/OilExport/index_sk.html ) and am running into
problems with R's lack of support for the caron found in the following
letters:  ÄŒ/č, Å /Å¡ and Ž/ž.

I am using R 2.6.1 running on a recent version of CentOS.

Any information about whether these characters are supported or any possible
workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

--
Jonathan Callahan, Ph D
Mazama Science

Re: support for caron (hacek) symbol

vojta@trapa.cz
Hello

Dne Po 20. září 2010 10:28:54 Jonathan Callahan napsal(a):
> I am creating a Slovak translation of an interactive website (
> http://mazamascience.com/OilExport/index_sk.html ) and am running into
> problems with R's lack of support for the caron found in the following
> letters:  ÄŒ/č, Å /Å¡ and Ž/ž.

I work on Linux (openSUSE) in Chech language using same characters and I have
no problem. R IMHO uses UTF-8 (default for Linux) which contains support for
all European languages and when You use UTF-8 also for Your website (highly
recommended), it should work. I have no problem to load file encoded with
UTF-8. Well, in this way, it works for me. I see Your page with correct
characters (the browser has autodetection of character set and the web page
uses UTF-8).

> I am using R 2.6.1 running on a recent version of CentOS.
>
> Any information about whether these characters are supported or any
> possible workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jon

Best regards,
--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Charles Uni., Prague, CZ
Institute of Botany, Academy of Science, Czech Republic
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.natur.cuni.cz/faculty-en?set_language=en
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/?p=index&site=en
http://www.opensuse.org/
http://web.natur.cuni.cz/~zeisek/

Vojtěch Zeisek
http://trapa.cz/en/

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science
Charles University in Prague
Benátská 2, Prague, 12801, CZ
http://botany.natur.cuni.cz/en/

Institute of Botany, Academy of Science
Zámek 1, Průhonice, 25243, CZ
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/en/

Czech Republic

http://www.opensuse.org/

Re: support for caron (hacek) symbol

Jonathan Callahan-3
Vojtěch,

Thanks for responding.  I should be clear that the web pages and server all
support UTF-8 quite well.

I am asking about using slavic letters with the caron/hacek symbol in R *
plots*.  Reading old messages I see that this has been a problem in past
years.  Can you -- or anyone else -- point me to some plots in R that have
Czech, Slovak or Polish text on them?  That would be the proof that it is
possible.  Then I would still need to figure out why my version fails to
print this text properly.

Here is an example of the problem I am seeing with Slovak text -- "Švajčiarsko"
comes out ".vaj.iarsko", "Å tatisticky" becomes ".tatisticky", *etc*.:

[image: Exports_BP_2010_oil_bbl_CH_MZM_NONE_auto_M.png]

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

2010/9/20 Vojtěch Zeisek <[hidden email]>

> Hello
>
> Dne Po 20. září 2010 10:28:54 Jonathan Callahan napsal(a):
> > I am creating a Slovak translation of an interactive website (
> > http://mazamascience.com/OilExport/index_sk.html ) and am running into
> > problems with R's lack of support for the caron found in the following
> > letters:  Ã„Å’/Ä , Å /Å¡ and Ž/ž.
>
> I work on Linux (openSUSE) in Chech language using same characters and I
> have
> no problem. R IMHO uses UTF-8 (default for Linux) which contains support
> for
> all European languages and when You use UTF-8 also for Your website (highly
> recommended), it should work. I have no problem to load file encoded with
> UTF-8. Well, in this way, it works for me. I see Your page with correct
> characters (the browser has autodetection of character set and the web page
> uses UTF-8).
>
> > I am using R 2.6.1 running on a recent version of CentOS.
> >
> > Any information about whether these characters are supported or any
> > possible workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Jon
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Vojtěch Zeisek
>
> Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Charles Uni., Prague, CZ
> Institute of Botany, Academy of Science, Czech Republic
> Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux
>
> https://www.natur.cuni.cz/faculty-en?set_language=en
> http://www.ibot.cas.cz/?p=index&amp;site=en
> http://www.opensuse.org/
> http://web.natur.cuni.cz/~zeisek/

Jonathan Callahan, Ph D
Mazama Science
206-708-5028
mazamascience.com

Re: support for caron (hacek) symbol

Thomas Lumley
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Jonathan Callahan wrote:

>Can you -- or anyone else -- point me to some plots in R that have
> Czech, Slovak or Polish text on them?  That would be the proof that it is
> possible.  Then I would still need to figure out why my version fails to
> print this text properly.

I have created a graph and put it at
   http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/czech.png
with text using carons that Wikipedia tells me is Czech.

     -thomas

Thomas Lumley
Professor of Biostatistics
University of Washington, Seattle

Re: support for caron (hacek) symbol

Jonathan Callahan-3
Awesome!  Can you tell me what version of R you are using and what operating
system?  R does use system fonts, doesn't it?  Perhaps I just don't have the
correct fonts installed -- I'm on CentOS.

Jon

2010/9/20 Thomas Lumley <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Jonathan Callahan wrote:
>
>  Can you -- or anyone else -- point me to some plots in R that have
>> Czech, Slovak or Polish text on them?  That would be the proof that it is
>> possible.  Then I would still need to figure out why my version fails to
>> print this text properly.
>>

> I have created a graph and put it at
>  http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/czech.png
> with text using carons that Wikipedia tells me is Czech.
>
>    -thomas
>
> Thomas Lumley
> Professor of Biostatistics
> University of Washington, Seattle

--
Jonathan Callahan, Ph D
Mazama Science
206-708-5028
mazamascience.com

Re: support for caron (hacek) symbol

Thomas Lumley
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Jonathan Callahan wrote:

> Awesome!  Can you tell me what version of R you are using and what operating system?  R does use system fonts, doesn't it?  Perhaps I
> just don't have the correct fonts installed -- I'm on CentOS.

Yes, R uses the system fonts.  I'm using Mac OS and R 2.11.1. R is using a UTF-8 locale.

You probably need Cairo and Pango, and you may well need to install some more fonts.  There is some documentation in the R Installation and Administration manual.

     -thomas

Thomas Lumley
Professor of Biostatistics
University of Washington, Seattle

Re: support for caron (hacek) symbol

Jonathan Callahan-3
Thanks all.  I have also been able to get things to work on an Ubuntu
system.  I'll talk with the system guys for our server and see if I can get
them excited about finding and installing the proper Slavic fonts.

Cheers!