tikzDevice not available

nikos giallousis
Hello people!

I just formatted my disk, and I have installed R 2.14 over. Now I am trying
to restore my packages and all.
I realized that tikzDevice, a crucial package for me is gone. Fortunately,
I have kept my old, non-zipped, tikzDevice
folder, but none of the commands I know seems to handle this [i.e. load()
and install.packages()].

Thus the formulation is like this:

how to install a package from a non-zipped folder

Thanks a lot

Nijk

Re: tikzDevice not available

Ulises M. Alvarez-3
On 08/15/2012 11:54 AM, nikos giallousis wrote:
> I realized that tikzDevice, a crucial package for me is gone. Fortunately,
> I have kept my old, non-zipped, tikzDevice
> folder, but none of the commands I know seems to handle this [i.e. load()
> and install.packages()].
>
> Thus the formulation is like this:
>
> how to install a package from a non-zipped folder

Hi:

I don't know whether or not it's possible to install from a non-zipped
folder, but the tikzDevice may be found at:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/tikzDevice/
--
Ulises M. Alvarez
http://sophie.unam.mx/

Re: tikzDevice not available

Peter Dalgaard-2

On Aug 15, 2012, at 18:54 , nikos giallousis wrote:

> Hello people!
>
> I just formatted my disk, and I have installed R 2.14 over. Now I am trying
> to restore my packages and all.
> I realized that tikzDevice, a crucial package for me is gone. Fortunately,
> I have kept my old, non-zipped, tikzDevice
> folder, but none of the commands I know seems to handle this [i.e. load()
> and install.packages()].
>
> Thus the formulation is like this:
>
> how to install a package from a non-zipped folder

R CMD INSTALL myfolder

from the command line. The package is still available in the Archive and on R-forge though; dunno what the story is with the CRAN version...

> Thanks a lot
>
> Nijk

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: tikzDevice not available

Yihui Xie-2
I think it will come back again in the future. The maintainer is busy
at the moment: https://github.com/Sharpie/RTikZDevice/commit/95069e0a1deeb8fb9db028bbb76f227ddfcdc559#commitcomment-1562437

For now, the easiest way to install it is probably via R-Forge:

install.packages("tikzDevice", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

Or just download the tarball from CRAN and R CMD INSTALL it.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <[hidden email]>
Phone: 515-294-2465 Web: http://yihui.name

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM, nikos giallousis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello people!
>
> I just formatted my disk, and I have installed R 2.14 over. Now I am trying
> to restore my packages and all.
> I realized that tikzDevice, a crucial package for me is gone. Fortunately,
> I have kept my old, non-zipped, tikzDevice
> folder, but none of the commands I know seems to handle this [i.e. load()
> and install.packages()].
>
> Thus the formulation is like this:
>
> how to install a package from a non-zipped folder
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Nijk

Re: tikzDevice not available

nikos giallousis
Hello, many thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I did not mention that my os is Windows 7. I am sorry for
that.

Some feedback here?

> install.packages("tikzDevice", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Users/N31k/Documents/R/win-library/2.14’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.14
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
  package ‘tikzDevice’ is not available (for R version 2.14.2)
> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
Error in read.dcf(file.path(pkgname, "DESCRIPTION"), c("Package", "Type"))
:
  cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In unzip(zipname, exdir = dest) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: In read.dcf(file.path(pkgname, "DESCRIPTION"), c("Package", "Type")) :
  cannot open compressed file 'tikzDevice_0.6.2.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION',
probable reason 'No such file or directory'

Re: tikzDevice not available

Uwe Ligges-3

On 17.08.2012 12:37, nikos giallousis wrote:
> Hello, many thanks for the advice.
>
> Unfortunately I did not mention that my os is Windows 7. I am sorry for
> that.
>
> Some feedback here?

Yes: R-forge seems to support the current release version of R only re.
binaries. If you want it for an old release of R, install from sources,
i.e.:
install.packages("tikzDevice", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org",
type="source")

Uwe Ligges

>> install.packages("tikzDevice", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:/Users/N31k/Documents/R/win-library/2.14’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.14
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>    package ‘tikzDevice’ is not available (for R version 2.14.2)
>> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> Error in read.dcf(file.path(pkgname, "DESCRIPTION"), c("Package", "Type"))
> :
>    cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In unzip(zipname, exdir = dest) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
> 2: In read.dcf(file.path(pkgname, "DESCRIPTION"), c("Package", "Type")) :
>    cannot open compressed file 'tikzDevice_0.6.2.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION',
> probable reason 'No such file or directory'

Re: tikzDevice not available

nikos giallousis
Hello all! Thank you for your advice.

The solution finally was like this: