txtProgressBar()

Ivan Calandra-4
Dear useRs,

In a script that will be source()d, I want to install the uninstalled
packages and follow the progression with a bar. So I looked at
txtProgressBar() but I cannot figure out how to use it to show the
progression of the installation.

All the examples I have found just display the progress of... the
progress bar itself ?

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

--
Ivan Calandra, PhD
Scientific Mediator

Re: txtProgressBar()

glsnow
You need to figure out how to tell txtProgressBar what the progress is.

One simple option would be that if you are installing 10 packages,
then create the bar with a range of values from 0 to 10 and initialize
it at 0, then after the first package installs update it to show 1,
after the 2nd installs update it to show 2, etc. until all 10 are
installed.

This is the simplest from the programming side, but the packages may
take different amounts of time to install.  If you have a feel for how
long they take to install (relative to each other) then you can
incorporate this with a percentage, e.g. after the 1st package
installs you may set the bar to 28%, after the second installs you may
then update it to 31%, etc. with the jumps proportional to expected
time to install.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Ivan Calandra
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear useRs,
>
> In a script that will be source()d, I want to install the uninstalled
> packages and follow the progression with a bar. So I looked at
> txtProgressBar() but I cannot figure out how to use it to show the
> progression of the installation.
>
> All the examples I have found just display the progress of... the progress
> bar itself ?
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ivan
>
> --
> Ivan Calandra, PhD
> Scientific Mediator
> University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne
> GEGENAA - EA 3795
> CREA - 2 esplanade Roland Garros
> 51100 Reims, France
> +33(0)3 26 77 36 89
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ivan_Calandra
> https://publons.com/author/705639/

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.

Re: txtProgressBar()

Ivan Calandra-4
Thank you Greg,

This is what I figured out... The problem with txtProgressBar() is that
many packages display some information during installation (even with
quiet=TRUE), especially the installation of dependencies, so that the
progress bar is not very useful. So I have tried with tkProgressBar()
and it seems to work, although it takes some time to initialize.

Ivan

--

Le 20/07/2016 à 17:39, Greg Snow a écrit :

> You need to figure out how to tell txtProgressBar what the progress is.
>
> One simple option would be that if you are installing 10 packages,
> then create the bar with a range of values from 0 to 10 and initialize
> it at 0, then after the first package installs update it to show 1,
> after the 2nd installs update it to show 2, etc. until all 10 are
> installed.
>
> This is the simplest from the programming side, but the packages may
> take different amounts of time to install.  If you have a feel for how
> long they take to install (relative to each other) then you can
> incorporate this with a percentage, e.g. after the 1st package
> installs you may set the bar to 28%, after the second installs you may
> then update it to 31%, etc. with the jumps proportional to expected
> time to install.
>

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Ivan Calandra
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear useRs,
>>
>> In a script that will be source()d, I want to install the uninstalled
>> packages and follow the progression with a bar. So I looked at
>> txtProgressBar() but I cannot figure out how to use it to show the
>> progression of the installation.
>>
>> All the examples I have found just display the progress of... the progress
>> bar itself ?
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ivan
>>
>> --
>> Ivan Calandra, PhD
>> Scientific Mediator
>> University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne
>> GEGENAA - EA 3795
>> CREA - 2 esplanade Roland Garros
>> 51100 Reims, France
>> +33(0)3 26 77 36 89
>> [hidden email]
>> --
>> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ivan_Calandra
>> https://publons.com/author/705639/

Re: txtProgressBar()

Tom Wright-9
You may like to look at
?suppressMessages

P.S. sorry for posting in HTML, new laptop and it’s next on my list of things to fix.

From: Ivan Calandra