uint8

R help mailing list-2
Dear R users,

 I am trying to join two 8 bit integers, as defined by the
"coolbutuseless/uint8" package,
without success:

> library(uint8)

> x1 = uint8(3)> x1[1] = as.uint8(1)
> x1[2] = as.uint8(2)> x2 = uint8(3)> x2[1] = as.uint8(2)> x1[1] 1 2 0> x2[1] 2 0 0> xx = c(x1,x2)> xx[1] 01 02 00 02 00 00

In the real application the first array (x1) is extremely large (order
15-20 Gbytes)
while the second is relatively small, so that I cannot afford, given my RAM,
to define a third array, as

> x3 = uint8(length(x1)+length(x2))

and then fill its components, but I need to join the two arrays.

Is anyone aware of the right procedure in R or so kind to give suggestions ?
(A possibility would be to switch to C/C++, but I would prefer not to).

Many thanks,

Luca

Le informazioni
contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono strettamente
riservate e indirizzate esclusivamente al destinatario. Si prega di non
leggere, fare copia, inoltrare a terzi o conservare tale messaggio se non
si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia
stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di
cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
The information contained
in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of
the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the
message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it
permanently from your computer system.

Re: uint8

Bert Gunter-2
Please note per the posting guide linked below:

"For questions about functions in standard packages distributed with R (see
the FAQ Add-on packages in R
<https://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Add-on-packages-in-R>), ask
questions on R-help.
If the question relates to a *contributed package* , e.g., one downloaded
from CRAN, try contacting the package maintainer first. You can also use
find("functionname") and packageDescription("packagename") to find this
information. *Only* send such questions to R-help or R-devel if you get no
reply or need further assistance. This applies to both requests for help
and to bug reports. "

It appears you have not done this -- if you have, please say so. Given
that, while you might get lucky here, you should not be surprised if you
don't. This looks like *exactly* the sort of query that a maintainer could
help you with.

sticking things into it."

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 2:36 PM Luca Passalacqua via R-help <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
>  I am trying to join two 8 bit integers, as defined by the
> "coolbutuseless/uint8" package,
> without success:
>
> > library(uint8)
>
> > x1 = uint8(3)> x1[1] = as.uint8(1)
> > x1[2] = as.uint8(2)> x2 = uint8(3)> x2[1] = as.uint8(2)> x1[1] 1 2 0>
> x2[1] 2 0 0> xx = c(x1,x2)> xx[1] 01 02 00 02 00 00
>

> In the real application the first array (x1) is extremely large (order
> 15-20 Gbytes)
> while the second is relatively small, so that I cannot afford, given my
> RAM,
> to define a third array, as
>
> > x3 = uint8(length(x1)+length(x2))
>
> and then fill its components, but I need to join the two arrays.
>
> Is anyone aware of the right procedure in R or so kind to give suggestions
> ?
> (A possibility would be to switch to C/C++, but I would prefer not to).
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Luca

> Le informazioni
> contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono strettamente
> riservate e indirizzate esclusivamente al destinatario. Si prega di non
> leggere, fare copia, inoltrare a terzi o conservare tale messaggio se non
> si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia
> stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di
> cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
> The information contained
> in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of
> the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
> read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the
> message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it
> permanently from your computer system.

Re: uint8

Jiefei Wang
Hi Luca,

The answer to your question depends on your application. What do you want
to do with x3? Do you really need a native vector to represent x1 and x2?
Or you just want an object that behaves like it is a joint of x1 and x2? I
do not think you can have a native vector x3 without paying anything, this
is impractical, but if all you want to do is to have something that behaves
like x3, I think R's S4 class can achieve that.

Best,
Jiefei