unable to access index for repository...

unable to access index for repository...

Steven Yen
I had to install/use an older version of (R-3.0.3) for a reason. While
installing a package from CRAN (either in RStudio or R), I received the
following warning message saying unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0. See message below. In
this case, I tried to install "aod". The install nevertheless went
through, as confirmed by the library statement (I did not try to use
it). Any idea? Thank you.

=====

Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning: unable to
access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 >
install.packages("aod") Warning in install.packages : unable to access
index for repository http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
Warning in install.packages : unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 package ‘aod’ is
available as a source package but not as a binary Warning in
install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
 > library(aod)

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Uwe Ligges-3
From

../ReadMe
in the mentioned web resource:

"Packages for R >= 1.7.0 and R < 3.2.0 are available from
https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/"

We do not hold binaries of several year old versions of R on CRAN.

Note that R 3.0.0 is 7 years old. You shoudl realy consider to update to
4.0.2.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

On 05.10.2020 09:56, Steven Yen wrote:

> I had to install/use an older version of (R-3.0.3) for a reason. While
> installing a package from CRAN (either in RStudio or R), I received the
> following warning message saying unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0. See message below. In
> this case, I tried to install "aod". The install nevertheless went
> through, as confirmed by the library statement (I did not try to use
> it). Any idea? Thank you.
>
> =====
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning: unable to
> access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 >
> install.packages("aod") Warning in install.packages : unable to access
> index for repository http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
> Warning in install.packages : unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 package ‘aod’ is
> available as a source package but not as a binary Warning in
> install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>   > library(aod)

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Steven Yen
Thanks for the help. I do update to the latest R-4.0.2. As I said, for
reasons that's hard to explain, some of my tasks are better handled with
an older version of R, in this case R-3.0.3. Please just help me install
packages successfully with this older version of R.

I ran the following line but obviously was not getting it across.

=====

> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/')  Warning in install.packages : unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning in
install.packages : unable to access index for repository
https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/bin/windows/contrib/3.0

On 2020/10/5 下午 04:12, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> From
>
> ../ReadMe
> in the mentioned web resource:
>
> "Packages for R >= 1.7.0 and R < 3.2.0 are available from
> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/"
>
> We do not hold binaries of several year old versions of R on CRAN.
>
> Note that R 3.0.0 is 7 years old. You shoudl realy consider to update
> to 4.0.2.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>

> On 05.10.2020 09:56, Steven Yen wrote:
>> I had to install/use an older version of (R-3.0.3) for a reason. While
>> installing a package from CRAN (either in RStudio or R), I received the
>> following warning message saying unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0. See message below. In
>> this case, I tried to install "aod". The install nevertheless went
>> through, as confirmed by the library statement (I did not try to use
>> it). Any idea? Thank you.
>>
>> =====
>>
>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning: unable to
>> access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 >
>> install.packages("aod") Warning in install.packages : unable to access
>> index for repository http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> Warning in install.packages : unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 package ‘aod’ is
>> available as a source package but not as a binary Warning in
>> install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>>   > library(aod)
>>

>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Uwe Ligges-3
Then you'd rather need

install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')

or use the contrib.url argument.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

On 05.10.2020 10:47, Steven Yen wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I do update to the latest R-4.0.2. As I said, for
> reasons that's hard to explain, some of my tasks are better handled with
> an older version of R, in this case R-3.0.3. Please just help me install
> packages successfully with this older version of R.
>
> I ran the following line but obviously was not getting it across.
>
> =====
>
>> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/') Warning in
> install.packages : unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning in
> install.packages : unable to access index for repository
> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
> Warning in install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R
> version 3.0.3)
>
> On 2020/10/5 下午 04:12, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> From
>>
>> ../ReadMe
>> in the mentioned web resource:
>>
>> "Packages for R >= 1.7.0 and R < 3.2.0 are available from
>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/"
>>
>> We do not hold binaries of several year old versions of R on CRAN.
>>
>> Note that R 3.0.0 is 7 years old. You shoudl realy consider to update
>> to 4.0.2.
>>
>> Best,
>> Uwe Ligges
>>

>> On 05.10.2020 09:56, Steven Yen wrote:
>>> I had to install/use an older version of (R-3.0.3) for a reason. While
>>> installing a package from CRAN (either in RStudio or R), I received the
>>> following warning message saying unable to access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0. See message below. In
>>> this case, I tried to install "aod". The install nevertheless went
>>> through, as confirmed by the library statement (I did not try to use
>>> it). Any idea? Thank you.
>>>
>>> =====
>>>
>>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning: unable to
>>> access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 >
>>> install.packages("aod") Warning in install.packages : unable to access
>>> index for repository http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>> Warning in install.packages : unable to access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 package ‘aod’ is
>>> available as a source package but not as a binary Warning in
>>> install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>>>   > library(aod)
>>>

>>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Steven Yen
Thanks. I did as suggested but still received a warning, though the
installation went through. Anything I could do to install without the
warning message.

What is the contrib.url argument?

 > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
Warning in install.packages :
   unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
trying URL
'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 220 Kb

package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp46p9a3\downloaded_packages

On 2020/10/5 下午 04:58, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Then you'd rather need
>
> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>
> or use the contrib.url argument.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>

> On 05.10.2020 10:47, Steven Yen wrote:
>> Thanks for the help. I do update to the latest R-4.0.2. As I said,
>> for reasons that's hard to explain, some of my tasks are better
>> handled with an older version of R, in this case R-3.0.3. Please just
>> help me install packages successfully with this older version of R.
>>
>> I ran the following line but obviously was not getting it across.
>>
>> =====
>>
>>> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/')
>>> Warning in
>> install.packages : unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning in
>> install.packages : unable to access index for repository
>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> Warning in install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R
>> version 3.0.3)
>>
>> On 2020/10/5 下午 04:12, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>>> From
>>>
>>> ../ReadMe
>>> in the mentioned web resource:
>>>
>>> "Packages for R >= 1.7.0 and R < 3.2.0 are available from
>>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/"
>>>
>>> We do not hold binaries of several year old versions of R on CRAN.
>>>
>>> Note that R 3.0.0 is 7 years old. You shoudl realy consider to
>>> update to 4.0.2.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Uwe Ligges

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Uwe Ligges-3
Drop the RStudio repos.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

On 05.10.2020 11:10, Steven Yen wrote:

> Thanks. I did as suggested but still received a warning, though the
> installation went through. Anything I could do to install without the
> warning message.
>
> What is the contrib.url argument?
>
>  > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
> Warning in install.packages :
>    unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
> trying URL
> 'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 220 Kb
>
> package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp46p9a3\downloaded_packages
>  >
>
> On 2020/10/5 下午 04:58, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Then you'd rather need
>>
>> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>
>> or use the contrib.url argument.
>>
>> Best,
>> Uwe Ligges
>>

>> On 05.10.2020 10:47, Steven Yen wrote:
>>> Thanks for the help. I do update to the latest R-4.0.2. As I said,
>>> for reasons that's hard to explain, some of my tasks are better
>>> handled with an older version of R, in this case R-3.0.3. Please just
>>> help me install packages successfully with this older version of R.
>>>
>>> I ran the following line but obviously was not getting it across.
>>>
>>> =====

>>> install.packages : unable to access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0 Warning in
>>> install.packages : unable to access index for repository
>>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>> Warning in install.packages : package ‘aod’ is not available (for R
>>> version 3.0.3)

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Duncan Murdoch-2
He didn't specify the RStudio repos, though it's probably implicitly
specified in getOption("repos").  I wonder why install.packages() is
looking there, when repos is given explicitly?

On 08/10/2020 8:54 a.m., Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Drop the RStudio repos.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>
> On 05.10.2020 11:10, Steven Yen wrote:
>> Thanks. I did as suggested but still received a warning, though the
>> installation went through. Anything I could do to install without the
>> warning message.
>>
>> What is the contrib.url argument?
>>
>>   > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>     unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> trying URL
>> 'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
>> Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 220 Kb
>>
>> package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>
>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp46p9a3\downloaded_packages
>>   >
>>
>> On 2020/10/5 下午 04:58, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>>> Then you'd rather need
>>>
>>> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>>
>>> or use the contrib.url argument.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Uwe Ligges

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Duncan Murdoch-2
Just remembered:  RStudio runs its own wrapper around
install.packages().  Steven, you should try doing the install from
outside of RStudio, and see if it makes a difference.

Duncan Murdoch

On 08/10/2020 9:59 a.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> He didn't specify the RStudio repos, though it's probably implicitly
> specified in getOption("repos").  I wonder why install.packages() is
> looking there, when repos is given explicitly?
>
> On 08/10/2020 8:54 a.m., Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Drop the RStudio repos.
>>
>> Best,
>> Uwe Ligges
>>
>> On 05.10.2020 11:10, Steven Yen wrote:
>>> Thanks. I did as suggested but still received a warning, though the
>>> installation went through. Anything I could do to install without the
>>> warning message.
>>>
>>> What is the contrib.url argument?
>>>
>>>    > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>> Warning in install.packages :
>>>      unable to access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>> trying URL
>>> 'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
>>> Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 220 Kb
>>>
>>> package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>>
>>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>>> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp46p9a3\downloaded_packages
>>>    >

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Steven Yen
Thanks. You gentlemen please tell me what this means. In R (outside of
RStudio) I ran:

install.packages("aod")

Received a warning (and installation did not seem to go through).

Then I tried

install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')

Received a warning but it went on to try

https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip

and it worked. See log below.

I expect to continue to use R-3.0.3 for a while and I very much like
this to become a routine. Thank you all.

Steven Yen

 > install.packages("aod")
Warning in install.packages :
   unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
Warning in install.packages :
   unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0

    package ‘aod’ is available as a source package but not as a binary

Warning in install.packages :
   package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
 > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
Warning in install.packages :
   unable to access index for repository
http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
trying URL
'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 220 Kb

package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpY7t6Ll\downloaded_packages

On 2020/10/8 下午 10:52, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Just remembered:  RStudio runs its own wrapper around
> install.packages().  Steven, you should try doing the install from
> outside of RStudio, and see if it makes a difference.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> On 08/10/2020 9:59 a.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> He didn't specify the RStudio repos, though it's probably implicitly
>> specified in getOption("repos").  I wonder why install.packages() is
>> looking there, when repos is given explicitly?
>>
>> On 08/10/2020 8:54 a.m., Uwe Ligges wrote:
>>> Drop the RStudio repos.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Uwe Ligges

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Duncan Murdoch-2
Okay, so it's not an RStudio issue.  However, I'd guess setting

   options(repos = "https://cran-archive.r-project.org")

at the start of your session could make everything work.  (I'm guessing
you currently have it set to "http://cran.rstudio.com", which is the
source of the last warning below, probably due to an R bug.  But since
you're using an obsolete version of R, it shouldn't surprise you that it
has bugs that nobody else is seeing.)

Duncan Murdoch

On 08/10/2020 11:54 a.m., Steven Yen wrote:

> Thanks. You gentlemen please tell me what this means. In R (outside of
> RStudio) I ran:
>
> install.packages("aod")
>
> Received a warning (and installation did not seem to go through).
>
> Then I tried
>
> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>
> Received a warning but it went on to try
>
> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip
>
> and it worked. See log below.
>
> I expect to continue to use R-3.0.3 for a while and I very much like
> this to become a routine. Thank you all.
>
> Steven Yen
>
>  > install.packages("aod")
> Warning in install.packages :
>    unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
> Warning in install.packages :
>    unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>
>     package ‘aod’ is available as a source package but not as a binary
>
> Warning in install.packages :
>    package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>  > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
> Warning in install.packages :
>    unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
> trying URL
> 'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 220 Kb
>
> package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpY7t6Ll\downloaded_packages
>
> On 2020/10/8 下午 10:52, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> Just remembered:  RStudio runs its own wrapper around
>> install.packages().  Steven, you should try doing the install from
>> outside of RStudio, and see if it makes a difference.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> On 08/10/2020 9:59 a.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>> He didn't specify the RStudio repos, though it's probably implicitly
>>> specified in getOption("repos").  I wonder why install.packages() is
>>> looking there, when repos is given explicitly?

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Steven Yen
Sorry Gentlemen and all. Now this is becoming a joke (to me). I repeated
what I did earlier, with and without the option to set repos suggested
by Duncan. Now it does not work. I wonder whether it is dependent on the
mirror I chose, but I do not remember the one I chose earlier when it work.

I need your help, gentlemen, as I need to use R-3.0.3 for my task.

 > options(repos="https://cran-archive.r-project.org")
 > chooseCRANmirror()
 > install.packages("aod")
Warning: unable to access index for repository
https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/3.0

    package ‘aod’ is available as a source package but not as a binary

Warning message:

On 2020/10/9 上午 12:02, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Okay, so it's not an RStudio issue.  However, I'd guess setting
>
>   options(repos = "https://cran-archive.r-project.org")
>
> at the start of your session could make everything work.  (I'm
> guessing you currently have it set to "http://cran.rstudio.com", which
> is the source of the last warning below, probably due to an R bug.
> But since you're using an obsolete version of R, it shouldn't surprise
> you that it has bugs that nobody else is seeing.)
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> On 08/10/2020 11:54 a.m., Steven Yen wrote:
>> Thanks. You gentlemen please tell me what this means. In R (outside
>> of RStudio) I ran:
>>
>> install.packages("aod")
>>
>> Received a warning (and installation did not seem to go through).
>>
>> Then I tried
>>
>> install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>
>> Received a warning but it went on to try
>>
>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip
>>
>> and it worked. See log below.
>>
>> I expect to continue to use R-3.0.3 for a while and I very much like
>> this to become a routine. Thank you all.
>>
>> Steven Yen
>>
>>  > install.packages("aod")
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>    unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>    unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>
>>     package ‘aod’ is available as a source package but not as a binary
>>
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>    package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>>  > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>    unable to access index for repository
>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> trying URL
>> 'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
>> Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 220 Kb
>>
>> package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>
>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpY7t6Ll\downloaded_packages
>>
>> On 2020/10/8 下午 10:52, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>> Just remembered:  RStudio runs its own wrapper around
>>> install.packages().  Steven, you should try doing the install from
>>> outside of RStudio, and see if it makes a difference.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Duncan Murdoch-2
Don't choose a mirror.  That will override the repos choice.

Do update R to a current version if you aren't able to debug this
yourself.

Duncan Murdoch

On 08/10/2020 12:38 p.m., Steven Yen wrote:

> [...]
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>>
>>>      package ‘aod’ is available as a source package but not as a binary
>>>
>>> Warning in install.packages :
>>>     package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>>>   > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>> Warning in install.packages :
>>>     unable to access index for repository
>>> http://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>> trying URL
>>> 'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'
>>> Content type 'application/zip' length 225712 bytes (220 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 220 Kb
>>>
>>> package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>>>
>>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>>> C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpY7t6Ll\downloaded_packages

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Thanks for the help. I have a reason to continue with R-3.0.3. I used
maxLik to estimate econometric models and some of them are better
handled with R-3.0.3 (but not later)----a sad reality I do not like.

Here is what I did. I downloaded

https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip

and installed the zip file, which worked in both RStudio and R (without
RStudio).

In RStudio, I go Tools -> Install packages -> Install from -> (Choose
zip) -> (Browse to the zip file)

IN R, I go Packages -> Install packages from local file(s) -> (Browse to
the zip file)...

Below is the command line generated and the prompt.

 > install.packages("C:/Users/USER/Downloads/aod_1.3.zip", repos = NULL,
type = "win.binary")
package ‘aod’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

I will always be able to download the proper .zip file from CRAC
Archive, right. So, this will always work for me? Thank you all !! If
there are more direct options that work, I would still be interested to
know.

Steven Yen

On 2020/10/9 上午 12:49, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Don't choose a mirror.  That will override the repos choice.
>
> Do update R to a current version if you aren't able to debug this
> yourself.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> On 08/10/2020 12:38 p.m., Steven Yen wrote:
>> Sorry Gentlemen and all. Now this is becoming a joke (to me). I repeated
>> what I did earlier, with and without the option to set repos suggested
>> by Duncan. Now it does not work. I wonder whether it is dependent on the
>> mirror I chose, but I do not remember the one I chose earlier when it
>> work.
>>
>> I need your help, gentlemen, as I need to use R-3.0.3 for my task.
>>
>>   > options(repos="https://cran-archive.r-project.org")
>>   > chooseCRANmirror()
>>   > install.packages("aod")
>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>>
>>      package ‘aod’ is available as a source package but not as a binary
>>
>> Warning message:
>> package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>>   > install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0
>> Warning message:
>> package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)
>>
>> On 2020/10/9 上午 12:02, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>> Okay, so it's not an RStudio issue. However, I'd guess setting
>>>
>>>    options(repos = "https://cran-archive.r-project.org")
>>>
>>> at the start of your session could make everything work.  (I'm
>>> guessing you currently have it set to "http://cran.rstudio.com", which
>>> is the source of the last warning below, probably due to an R bug.
>>> But since you're using an obsolete version of R, it shouldn't surprise
>>> you that it has bugs that nobody else is seeing.)
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch

Re: unable to access index for repository...

Jeff Newmiller
All support on this list is voluntary, and support for old versions of R is not even necessarily on-topic here which is why you keep getting nudged to upgrade. Your "need" for support for an old version is definitely not "our" problem, so I suggest you start looking for a consultant if this issue is that important to you. Such is the nature of volunteer-developed open source software... so support your local experts.

On October 8, 2020 10:22:54 AM PDT, Steven Yen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Warning message:
>>> package ‘aod’ is not available (for R version 3.0.3)

>which
>surprise

>(outside

>https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip

>like

>install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>>>>
>'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'

>from

>implicitly
>install.packages() is

>though
>without

>install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')
>>>>>>>>>
>'https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip'

>C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp46p9a3\downloaded_packages

Re: [External] Re: unable to access index for repository...

Richard M. Heiberger
I wonder if you are perhaps trying to solve the wrong problem.

If you like what the older version of the aod package does, but not
the current version,
then I think the solution is to propose an option to the aod
maintainer that would restore your
preferred algorithm into the current version, and then use the current R.

A less good, but possibly workable, option is to compile the old
version of aod into the current R.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 1:45 PM Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>>>>>>>>
> >C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp46p9a3\downloaded_packages

> >install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org')

> >better
> >version

> >install.packages("aod",repos='https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/')

> >https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/bin/windows/contrib/3.0

> >on

> >for
> >message
> >nevertheless
> >try

> >unable
> >in

> >reproducible

> >code.

> >code.

Re: [External] Re: unable to access index for repository...

Hmm. You raised an interesting point. Actually I am not having problems with aod per se—-it is just a supporting package I need while using old R. The essential package I need, maxLik, simply works better under R-3.0.3, for reason I do not understand—specifically the numerical gradients of the likelihood function are not evaluated as accurately in newer versions of R in my experience, which is why I continue to use R-3.0.3. Because I use this older version of R, naturally I need to install other supporting packages such as aod and AER.
Certainly, I will install the zip file of the older version of maxLik to the latest R and see what happens. Thank you.

I will install the new maxLik in old R, and old maxLik in new R, and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone
Beware: My autocorrect is crazy

> On Oct 9, 2020, at 2:17 AM, Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I wonder if you are perhaps trying to solve the wrong problem.
>
> If you like what the older version of the aod package does, but not
> the current version,
> then I think the solution is to propose an option to the aod
> maintainer that would restore your
> preferred algorithm into the current version, and then use the current R.
>
> A less good, but possibly workable, option is to compile the old
> version of aod into the current R.
>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 1:45 PM Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All support on this list is voluntary, and support for old versions of R is not even necessarily on-topic here which is why you keep getting nudged to upgrade. Your "need" for support for an old version is definitely not "our" problem, so I suggest you start looking for a consultant if this issue is that important to you. Such is the nature of volunteer-developed open source software... so support your local experts.
>>
>>> On October 8, 2020 10:22:54 AM PDT, Steven Yen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the help. I have a reason to continue with R-3.0.3. I used
>>> maxLik to estimate econometric models and some of them are better
>>> handled with R-3.0.3 (but not later)----a sad reality I do not like.
>>>
>>> Here is what I did. I downloaded
>>>
>>> https://cran-archive.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/aod_1.3.zip
>>>
>>> and installed the zip file, which worked in both RStudio and R (without
>>>
>>> RStudio).
>>>
>>> In RStudio, I go Tools -> Install packages -> Install from -> (Choose
>>> zip) -> (Browse to the zip file)
>>>
>>> IN R, I go Packages -> Install packages from local file(s) -> (Browse
>>> the zip file)...

Re: [External] Re: unable to access index for repository...

Arne Henningsen-3
Hi Steven

Which optimisation algorithms in maxLik work better under R-3.0.3 than
under the current version of R?

/Arne

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 21:05, Steven Yen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm. You raised an interesting point. Actually I am not having problems with aod per se—-it is just a supporting package I need while using old R. The essential package I need, maxLik, simply works better under R-3.0.3, for reason I do not understand—specifically the numerical gradients of the likelihood function are not evaluated as accurately in newer versions of R in my experience, which is why I continue to use R-3.0.3. Because I use this older version of R, naturally I need to install other supporting packages such as aod and AER.
> Certainly, I will install the zip file of the older version of maxLik to the latest R and see what happens. Thank you.
>
> I will install the new maxLik in old R, and old maxLik in new R, and see what happens.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Beware: My autocorrect is crazy
>
> > On Oct 9, 2020, at 2:17 AM, Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if you are perhaps trying to solve the wrong problem.
> >
> > If you like what the older version of the aod package does, but not
> > the current version,
> > then I think the solution is to propose an option to the aod
> > maintainer that would restore your
> > preferred algorithm into the current version, and then use the current R.
> >
> > A less good, but possibly workable, option is to compile the old
> > version of aod into the current R.
> >
> >> On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 1:45 PM Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> All support on this list is voluntary, and support for old versions of R is not even necessarily on-topic here which is why you keep getting nudged to upgrade. Your "need" for support for an old version is definitely not "our" problem, so I suggest you start looking for a consultant if this issue is that important to you. Such is the nature of volunteer-developed open source software... so support your local experts.

Arne Henningsen
http://www.arne-henningsen.name

Re: [External] Re: unable to access index for repository...

Steven Yen
Oh Hi Arne,
You may recall we visited with this before. I do not believe the problem is algorithm specific. The algorithms I use the most often are BFGS and BHHH (or maxBFGS and maxBHHH). For simple econometric models such as probit, Tobit, and evening sample selection models, old and new versions of R work equally well (I write my own programs  and do not use ones from AER or sampleSekection). For more complicated models the newer R would converge with not-so-nice gradients while R-3.0.3 would still do nicely (good gradient). I use numerical graduent of course. I wonder whether numerical gradient routine were revised at the time of transition from R-3.0.3 to newer. Not knowing how different your versions of maxLik are between, I will try as I said I would, that is, use new version of maxLik from old R and vice versa, and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone
Beware: My autocorrect is crazy

> On Oct 9, 2020, at 4:28 AM, Arne Henningsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Steven
>
> Which optimisation algorithms in maxLik work better under R-3.0.3 than
> under the current version of R?
>
> /Arne
>
>> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 21:05, Steven Yen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm. You raised an interesting point. Actually I am not having problems with aod per se—-it is just a supporting package I need while using old R. The essential package I need, maxLik, simply works better under R-3.0.3, for reason I do not understand—specifically the numerical gradients of the likelihood function are not evaluated as accurately in newer versions of R in my experience, which is why I continue to use R-3.0.3. Because I use this older version of R, naturally I need to install other supporting packages such as aod and AER.
>> Certainly, I will install the zip file of the older version of maxLik to the latest R and see what happens. Thank you.
>>
>> I will install the new maxLik in old R, and old maxLik in new R, and see what happens.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Beware: My autocorrect is crazy

>>> I wonder if you are perhaps trying to solve the wrong problem.
>>>
>>> If you like what the older version of the aod package does, but not
>>> the current version,
>>> then I think the solution is to propose an option to the aod
>>> maintainer that would restore your
>>> preferred algorithm into the current version, and then use the current R.
>>>
>>> A less good, but possibly workable, option is to compile the old
>>> version of aod into the current R.

Re: [External] Re: unable to access index for repository...

Martin Maechler

    > Oh Hi Arne, You may recall we visited with this before. I
    > do not believe the problem is algorithm specific. The
    > algorithms I use the most often are BFGS and BHHH (or
    > maxBFGS and maxBHHH). For simple econometric models such
    > as probit, Tobit, and evening sample selection models, old
    > and new versions of R work equally well (I write my own
    > programs and do not use ones from AER or
    > sampleSekection). For more complicated models the newer R
    > would converge with not-so-nice gradients while R-3.0.3
    > would still do nicely (good gradient). I use numerical
    > graduent of course. I wonder whether numerical gradient
    > routine were revised at the time of transition from
    > R-3.0.3 to newer.

As R-core member, particularly interested in numerical accuracy
etc, I'm also interested in learning what's going on here.

I think we (R core) have never heard of anything numerically deteriorating
going from R 3.0.x to R 4.0.x,  and now you are claiming that in
public, you should really post *reproducible* code giving
evidence to your claim.

As was mentioned earlier, the difference may not be in R, but
rather in the versions of the (non-base R, but "extension") R
packages you use;  and you were saying earlier you will check
that (using the old version of the 'maxLik' package with a newer
version of R and vice verso) and tell us about it.

Thank you in advance on being careful and rational about such
findings.

With regards,

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R core team

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 12:28, Martin Maechler <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     > Oh Hi Arne, You may recall we visited with this before. I
>     > do not believe the problem is algorithm specific. The
>     > algorithms I use the most often are BFGS and BHHH (or
>     > maxBFGS and maxBHHH). For simple econometric models such
>     > as probit, Tobit, and evening sample selection models, old
>     > and new versions of R work equally well (I write my own
>     > programs and do not use ones from AER or
>     > sampleSekection). For more complicated models the newer R
>     > would converge with not-so-nice gradients while R-3.0.3
>     > would still do nicely (good gradient). I use numerical
>     > graduent of course. I wonder whether numerical gradient
>     > routine were revised at the time of transition from
>     > R-3.0.3 to newer.
>
> As R-core member, particularly interested in numerical accuracy
> etc, I'm also interested in learning what's going on here.
>
> I think we (R core) have never heard of anything numerically deteriorating
> going from R 3.0.x to R 4.0.x,  and now you are claiming that in
> public, you should really post *reproducible* code giving
> evidence to your claim.
>
> As was mentioned earlier, the difference may not be in R, but
> rather in the versions of the (non-base R, but "extension") R
> packages you use;  and you were saying earlier you will check
> that (using the old version of the 'maxLik' package with a newer
> version of R and vice verso) and tell us about it.
>
> Thank you in advance on being careful and rational about such
> findings.

I totally agree with Martin: It would be good if Steven could run his
code with different combinations of versions of R and maxLik so that
we know whether the problem is caused by newer versions of R or by
newer versions of maxLik (and hopefully also which version introduced
the problem). Steven wrote that the problem appeared both in maxBFGS()
and in maxBHHH(). This is somewhat surprising because maxBFGS() uses
for the optimisation optim() which is implemented in R's base package
"stats", while maxBHHH() uses for the optimisation maxNR() which is
implemented in the maxLik package. Hence, it would be a very unlikely
coincidence if the optimisation routines in optim() and maxNR() would
become worse at the same time. I remember that we slightly changed the
user interface and the default values of some arguments of some
function in the maxLik package (e.g., maxBFGS, maxBHHH, maxNR, ...) a
long time ago. I suggest that Steven checks whether he needs to update
his code to reflect the changes in the user interface and/or in the
default values of some arguments.

Best wishes,
Arne