unable to move temporary installation

atyre2
Hi all,

I'm having a strange error that prevents me from installing new packages,
or updating packages after reinstalling. The error message is
Warning: unable to move temporary installation ‘C:\Program
Files\R\R-2.14.2\library\file15045004ac2\sandwich’ to ‘C:\Program
Files\R\R-2.14.2\library\sandwich’
for one of the packages that is failing to install/update. This error
started happening after I attempted installing lme4Eigen from the R-Forge
repositories - that installation failed too.

Any suggestions for fixes welcome. I don't want to upgrade to 2.15 just yet
because I'm in the middle of a project (although if that's the solution I
guess I'll have to do it).

R version 2.14.2 (2012-02-29)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.14.2

--
Drew Tyre

School of Natural Resources
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
416 Hardin Hall, East Campus
3310 Holdrege Street
Lincoln, NE 68583-0974

phone: +1 402 472 4054
fax: +1 402 472 2946
email: [hidden email]
http://snr.unl.edu/tyre
http://aminpractice.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atiretoo

Re: unable to move temporary installation

Uwe Ligges-3
On 31.03.2012 16:15, Drew Tyre wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a strange error that prevents me from installing new packages,
> or updating packages after reinstalling. The error message is
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation ‘C:\Program
> Files\R\R-2.14.2\library\file15045004ac2\sandwich’ to ‘C:\Program
> Files\R\R-2.14.2\library\sandwich’
> for one of the packages that is failing to install/update. This error
> started happening after I attempted installing lme4Eigen from the R-Forge
> repositories - that installation failed too.
>
> Any suggestions for fixes welcome. I don't want to upgrade to 2.15 just yet
> because I'm in the middle of a project (although if that's the solution I
> guess I'll have to do it).

Probably the package is in use by another instance of R. Otherwise,
check permissions.

Best,
Uwe Ligges

> R version 2.14.2 (2012-02-29)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

> [1] tools_2.14.2

Re: unable to move temporary installation

atyre2
OK - so I followed the following steps, which I think rule out those causes

1) I uninstalled all remaining versions of R, and then deleted all the
directories in c:\progra~1\R
2) I restarted the computer
3) I installed 2.14.2, and attempted to install the Rcmdr package. Same
error message for both the cars package and the Rcmdr package.
4) I then exited and confirmed that I have write permission to
C:\progra~1\R\R-2.14.2\libraries both by looking at the permissions, and by
creating a directory in there. I appear to have full control, and I could
create the directory. note that R is able to create the temporary directory
to install the package, but not the correct, final directory.
5) I then uninstalled 2.14.2, and installed 2.15.0, hoping for a fix. No
luck. Same error message.
6) I then tried installing the packages to a different directory, one that
I created, c:\test, using
install.packages("Rcmdr","c:\\test")
This time, the car package installed correctly, but Rcmdr still had the
same warning message

Warning: unable to move temporary installation
‘c:\test\file136c67c337b3\Rcmdr’ to ‘c:\test\Rcmdr’

There is clearly something messed up on this computer, but I'm at a loss
for how to get around it. Thanks for the suggestions, and I guess I have to
work on a different computer!

2012/3/31 Uwe Ligges <[hidden email]>

> On 31.03.2012 16:15, Drew Tyre wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having a strange error that prevents me from installing new packages,
>> or updating packages after reinstalling. The error message is
>> Warning: unable to move temporary installation ‘C:\Program
>> Files\R\R-2.14.2\library\**file15045004ac2\sandwich’ to ‘C:\Program
>> Files\R\R-2.14.2\library\**sandwich’
>> for one of the packages that is failing to install/update. This error
>> started happening after I attempted installing lme4Eigen from the R-Forge
>> repositories - that installation failed too.
>>
>> Any suggestions for fixes welcome. I don't want to upgrade to 2.15 just
>> yet
>> because I'm in the middle of a project (although if that's the solution I
>> guess I'll have to do it).
>>

> Probably the package is in use by another instance of R. Otherwise, check
> permissions.
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>

>  R version 2.14.2 (2012-02-29)
>> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
>> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
>> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
>> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

>> [1] tools_2.14.2

Drew Tyre

School of Natural Resources
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
416 Hardin Hall, East Campus
3310 Holdrege Street
Lincoln, NE 68583-0974

phone: +1 402 472 4054
fax: +1 402 472 2946
email: [hidden email]
http://snr.unl.edu/tyre
http://aminpractice.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atiretoo

Re: unable to move temporary installation

atyre2
A final followup. I have identified a rather extreme workaround. The
problem arises when the function utils:::unpackPkgZip uses file.rename(...)
to move the unzipped binary package from the temporary directory that it
was unpacked into into the proper directory in the library tree. If one does
debug(utils:::unpackPkgZip)
and then steps through the function line by line, it works.

Thank you.

On 03.04.2012 19:43, Drew Tyre wrote:
> A final followup. I have identified a rather extreme workaround. The
> problem arises when the function utils:::unpackPkgZip uses file.rename(...)
> to move the unzipped binary package from the temporary directory that it
> was unpacked into into the proper directory in the library tree. If one does
> debug(utils:::unpackPkgZip)
> and then steps through the function line by line, it works.

Then check your virus scanner ot the speed of IO if this is a remote
file system.

Uwe Ligges

> Thank you.
>
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Drew Tyre<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> OK - so I followed the following steps, which I think rule out those causes
>>
>> 1) I uninstalled all remaining versions of R, and then deleted all the
>> directories in c:\progra~1\R
>> 2) I restarted the computer
>> 3) I installed 2.14.2, and attempted to install the Rcmdr package. Same
>> error message for both the cars package and the Rcmdr package.
>> 4) I then exited and confirmed that I have write permission to
>> C:\progra~1\R\R-2.14.2\libraries both by looking at the permissions, and by
>> creating a directory in there. I appear to have full control, and I could
>> create the directory. note that R is able to create the temporary directory
>> to install the package, but not the correct, final directory.
>> 5) I then uninstalled 2.14.2, and installed 2.15.0, hoping for a fix. No
>> luck. Same error message.
>> 6) I then tried installing the packages to a different directory, one that
>> I created, c:\test, using
>> install.packages("Rcmdr","c:\\test")
>> This time, the car package installed correctly, but Rcmdr still had the
>> same warning message
>>
>> Warning: unable to move temporary installation
>> ‘c:\test\file136c67c337b3\Rcmdr’ to ‘c:\test\Rcmdr’
>>
>> There is clearly something messed up on this computer, but I'm at a loss
>> for how to get around it. Thanks for the suggestions, and I guess I have to
>> work on a different computer!

>> packages,
>> R-Forge

>>> Probably the package is in use by another instance of R. Otherwise, check
>>> permissions.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Uwe Ligges
>>>

>>>   R version 2.14.2 (2012-02-29)

>> --
>> Drew Tyre
>>
>> School of Natural Resources
>> University of Nebraska-Lincoln
>> 416 Hardin Hall, East Campus
>> 3310 Holdrege Street
>> Lincoln, NE 68583-0974
>>
>> phone: +1 402 472 4054
>> fax: +1 402 472 2946
>> email: [hidden email]
>> http://snr.unl.edu/tyre
>> http://aminpractice.blogspot.com
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/atiretoo
>>
>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: unable to move temporary installation

Henrik Bengtsson-3
My $.01 contribution without having read the complete thread:

Some other process/service is locking your file/directory.  There are
a few Windows tools out there helping your to narrow down exactly
which, e.g.

  http://www.guidingtech.com/10175/tools-to-delete-locked-files-in-windows/

/Henrik

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Uwe Ligges
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.04.2012 19:43, Drew Tyre wrote:
>>
>> A final followup. I have identified a rather extreme workaround. The
>> problem arises when the function utils:::unpackPkgZip uses
>> file.rename(...)
>> to move the unzipped binary package from the temporary directory that it
>> was unpacked into into the proper directory in the library tree. If one
>> does
>> debug(utils:::unpackPkgZip)
>> and then steps through the function line by line, it works.
>

> Then check your virus scanner ot the speed of IO if this is a remote file
> system.
>
> Uwe Ligges
>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Drew Tyre<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> OK - so I followed the following steps, which I think rule out those
>>> causes
>>>
>>> 1) I uninstalled all remaining versions of R, and then deleted all the
>>> directories in c:\progra~1\R
>>> 2) I restarted the computer
>>> 3) I installed 2.14.2, and attempted to install the Rcmdr package. Same
>>> error message for both the cars package and the Rcmdr package.
>>> 4) I then exited and confirmed that I have write permission to
>>> C:\progra~1\R\R-2.14.2\libraries both by looking at the permissions, and
>>> by
>>> creating a directory in there. I appear to have full control, and I could
>>> create the directory. note that R is able to create the temporary
>>> directory
>>> to install the package, but not the correct, final directory.
>>> 5) I then uninstalled 2.14.2, and installed 2.15.0, hoping for a fix. No
>>> luck. Same error message.
>>> 6) I then tried installing the packages to a different directory, one
>>> that
>>> I created, c:\test, using
>>> install.packages("Rcmdr","c:\\test")
>>> This time, the car package installed correctly, but Rcmdr still had the
>>> same warning message
>>>
>>> Warning: unable to move temporary installation
>>> ‘c:\test\file136c67c337b3\Rcmdr’ to ‘c:\test\Rcmdr’
>>>
>>> There is clearly something messed up on this computer, but I'm at a loss
>>> for how to get around it. Thanks for the suggestions, and I guess I have
>>> work on a different computer!

>>> packages,

>>> R-Forge

>>> --
>>> Drew Tyre
>>>
>>> School of Natural Resources
>>> University of Nebraska-Lincoln
>>> 416 Hardin Hall, East Campus
>>> 3310 Holdrege Street
>>> Lincoln, NE 68583-0974
>>>
>>> phone: +1 402 472 4054
>>> fax: +1 402 472 2946
>>> email: [hidden email]
>>> http://snr.unl.edu/tyre
>>> http://aminpractice.blogspot.com
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/atiretoo

Re: unable to move temporary installation

atyre2
A final, final followup. Uwe, your suggestion is spot on  - disabling the
virus scanner fixes the problem. UNL recently changed virus scanning
software, so this issue arose with Windows XP and Symantec Endpoint
Protection. It can be readily disabled and reenabled from the system tray,
so not too big an issue, once the problem is understood!

thank you all for your various suggestions and assistance.

>>> http://snr.unl.edu/tyre
>>> http://aminpractice.blogspot.**com <http://aminpractice.blogspot.com>

On 05.04.2012 17:40, Drew Tyre wrote:
> A final, final followup. Uwe, your suggestion is spot on  - disabling the
> virus scanner fixes the problem. UNL recently changed virus scanning
> software, so this issue arose with Windows XP and Symantec Endpoint
> Protection. It can be readily disabled and reenabled from the system tray,
> so not too big an issue, once the problem is understood!

OK, problem is probably that the virus scanner locks the file and hence
R cannot move them.

Best,
Uwe Ligges