use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb kickoff

use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb kickoff

Jim Porzak
Next week Wednesday evening, April 8th, Mike Driscoll will be talking
about "Building Web Dashboards using R"
see: http://www.meetup.com/R-Users/calendar/9718968/ for details & to RSVP.

Also of interest, our member Ron Fredericks has just posted a well
edited video of the February kickoff panel discussion at Predictive
Analytics World "The R and Science of Predictive Analytics: Four Case
Studies in R" with
    * Bo Cowgill, Google
    * Itamar Rosenn, Facebook
    * David Smith, Revolution Computing
    * Jim Porzak, The Generations Network
and chaired by Michael Driscoll, Dataspora LLC

see: http://www.lecturemaker.com/2009/02/r-kickoff-video/

Best,
Jim Porzak
TGN.com
San Francisco, CA
www.linkedin.com/in/jimporzak
use R! Group SF: www.meetup.com/R-Users/

Re: use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb k

Ted.Harding-2
On 30-Mar-09 22:13:04, Jim Porzak wrote:

> Next week Wednesday evening, April 8th, Mike Driscoll will be talking
> about "Building Web Dashboards using R"
> see: http://www.meetup.com/R-Users/calendar/9718968/ for details & to
> RSVP.
>
> Also of interest, our member Ron Fredericks has just posted a well
> edited video of the February kickoff panel discussion at Predictive
> Analytics World "The R and Science of Predictive Analytics: Four Case
> Studies in R" with
>     * Bo Cowgill, Google
>     * Itamar Rosenn, Facebook
>     * David Smith, Revolution Computing
>     * Jim Porzak, The Generations Network
> and chaired by Michael Driscoll, Dataspora LLC
>
> see: http://www.lecturemaker.com/2009/02/r-kickoff-video/
>
> Best,
> Jim Porzak

It could be very interesting to watch that video! However, I have
had a close look at the web page you cite:

  http://www.lecturemaker.com/2009/02/r-kickoff-video/

and cannot find a link to a video. Lots of links to non-video
things, but none that I could see to a video.

There is a link on that page at:
  How Google and Facebook are using R
  by Michael E. Driscoll | February 19, 2009
  <http://dataspora.com/blog/predictive-analytics-using-r/>

Following that link leads to a page, on which the first link, in:

  <(March 26th Update: Video now available)>
  Last night, I moderated our Bay Area R Users Group kick-off
  event with a panel discussion entitled "The R and Science of
  Predictive Analytics", co-located with the Predictive Analytics
  World conference here in SF.

leads you back to where you came from, and likewise the link at
the bottom of the page:

  <A video of the event> is now available courtesy of Ron Fredericks
  and LectureMaker.

Could you help by describing where on that web page it can be found?
With thanks,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 30-Mar-09                                       Time: 23:55:07

Re: use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb k

Sundar Dorai-Raj-2
Could be that you have some sort of ad filter in your browser that's
blocking the video? It appears just fine for me in Firefox 3.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Ted Harding
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30-Mar-09 22:13:04, Jim Porzak wrote:
>> Next week Wednesday evening, April 8th, Mike Driscoll will be talking
>> about "Building Web Dashboards using R"
>> see: http://www.meetup.com/R-Users/calendar/9718968/ for details & to
>> RSVP.
>>
>> Also of interest, our member Ron Fredericks has just posted a well
>> edited video of the February kickoff panel discussion at Predictive
>> Analytics World "The R and Science of Predictive Analytics: Four Case
>> Studies in R" with
>>     * Bo Cowgill, Google
>>     * Itamar Rosenn, Facebook
>>     * David Smith, Revolution Computing
>>     * Jim Porzak, The Generations Network
>> and chaired by Michael Driscoll, Dataspora LLC
>>
>> see: http://www.lecturemaker.com/2009/02/r-kickoff-video/
>>
>> Best,
>> Jim Porzak
>
> It could be very interesting to watch that video! However, I have
> had a close look at the web page you cite:
>
>  http://www.lecturemaker.com/2009/02/r-kickoff-video/
>
> and cannot find a link to a video. Lots of links to non-video
> things, but none that I could see to a video.
>
> There is a link on that page at:
>  How Google and Facebook are using R
>  by Michael E. Driscoll | February 19, 2009
>  <http://dataspora.com/blog/predictive-analytics-using-r/>
>
> Following that link leads to a page, on which the first link, in:
>
>  <(March 26th Update: Video now available)>
>  Last night, I moderated our Bay Area R Users Group kick-off
>  event with a panel discussion entitled "The R and Science of
>  Predictive Analytics", co-located with the Predictive Analytics
>  World conference here in SF.
>
> leads you back to where you came from, and likewise the link at
> the bottom of the page:
>
>  <A video of the event> is now available courtesy of Ron Fredericks
>  and LectureMaker.
>
> Could you help by describing where on that web page it can be found?
> With thanks,
> Ted.

Re: use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb k

Jim Porzak
Since Sundar beat me to it w/ Firefox 3 test, I checked with IE 7.0 -
works fine for me there also.

-Jim

On 30-Mar-09 23:04:40, Jim Porzak wrote:
> Since Sundar beat me to it w/ Firefox 3 test, I checked with IE 7.0 -
> works fine for me there also.
>
> -Jim

Interesting! I'm using Iceweasel 2.0.0.19  (Firefox under another
name) on Linux. I'll have to check out what blocks it has activated!
I put on a fragrantly scented facemask and started IE up on Windows.
Going to the same URL, I now find a big "video screen" just below
the line:

The R and Science of Predictive Analytics: Four Case in R -- The Video

And it duly plays.

But at the same place in my Firefox, I only see a little button
inviting me to "Get Adobe Flash Player". But I already have that
installed for Iceweasel!. Well, maybe it needs updating. Let me
try that ... It says "Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.22.87" and
I have flashplayer_9 already there, so ... (some time later) I now
have flashplayer_10 installed, but I still get the same result.
Hmmm ....
Well, thanks for helping to locte what the problem might be!
Ted.

Date: 31-Mar-09                                       Time: 00:49:08

Re: use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb k

Rolf Turner

I get to the video screen OK --- there's a large greenish sideways
triangle waiting to be clicked on.  I do so; there's a message that
says it's downloading, with a little progress bar.  That seems to
complete quite rapidly.  Then nothing for a while.  Then an error
message on the video screen saying ``Fatal error --- video source
not ready.''  Then that error message goes away.  Long wait.  Then
I get audio, but never any video.  Give up.

I'm using Firefox on an Imac; the ``About Mozilla Firefox'' button
on the Firefox dropdown menu says I've got Mozilla 5.0, Firefox 2.0.0.2
--- whatever that means.

Bottom line --- I can't watch the video.

But that's the story of my life.  ***Nothing*** ever works for me! :-)
Except R, which *mostly* works.

        cheers,

                Rolf Turner

On 31/03/2009, at 12:49 PM, Ted Harding wrote:

> On 30-Mar-09 23:04:40, Jim Porzak wrote:
>> Since Sundar beat me to it w/ Firefox 3 test, I checked with IE 7.0 -
>> works fine for me there also.
>>
>> -Jim
>
> Interesting! I'm using Iceweasel 2.0.0.19  (Firefox under another
> name) on Linux. I'll have to check out what blocks it has activated!
> I put on a fragrantly scented facemask and started IE up on Windows.
> Going to the same URL, I now find a big "video screen" just below
> the line:
>
> The R and Science of Predictive Analytics: Four Case in R -- The Video
>
> And it duly plays.
>
> But at the same place in my Firefox, I only see a little button
> inviting me to "Get Adobe Flash Player". But I already have that
> installed for Iceweasel!. Well, maybe it needs updating. Let me
> try that ... It says "Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.22.87" and
> I have flashplayer_9 already there, so ... (some time later) I now
> have flashplayer_10 installed, but I still get the same result.
> Hmmm ....
> Well, thanks for helping to locte what the problem might be!
> Ted.
>

>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Sundar Dorai-Raj
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Could be that you have some sort of ad filter in your browser that's
>>> blocking the video? It appears just fine for me in Firefox 3.

> guide.html

Re: use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb k

Gad Abraham-5
Rolf Turner wrote:

> I get to the video screen OK --- there's a large greenish sideways
> triangle waiting to be clicked on.  I do so; there's a message that
> says it's downloading, with a little progress bar.  That seems to
> complete quite rapidly.  Then nothing for a while.  Then an error
> message on the video screen saying ``Fatal error --- video source
> not ready.''  Then that error message goes away.  Long wait.  Then
> I get audio, but never any video.  Give up.
>
> I'm using Firefox on an Imac; the ``About Mozilla Firefox'' button
> on the Firefox dropdown menu says I've got Mozilla 5.0, Firefox 2.0.0.2
> --- whatever that means.
>
> Bottom line --- I can't watch the video.

Firefox 3.0.8 on OS X doesn't work either.

But you can go directly to
http://www.lecturemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/lmpremovie.swf
and it will work.

--
Gad Abraham
MEng Student, Dept. CSSE and NICTA

On 01-Apr-09 09:37:49, Gad Abraham wrote:

> Rolf Turner wrote:
>>
>> I get to the video screen OK --- there's a large greenish sideways
>> triangle waiting to be clicked on.  I do so; there's a message that
>> says it's downloading, with a little progress bar.  That seems to
>> complete quite rapidly.  Then nothing for a while.  Then an error
>> message on the video screen saying ``Fatal error --- video source
>> not ready.''  Then that error message goes away.  Long wait.  Then
>> I get audio, but never any video.  Give up.
>>
>> I'm using Firefox on an Imac; the ``About Mozilla Firefox'' button
>> on the Firefox dropdown menu says I've got Mozilla 5.0, Firefox
>> 2.0.0.2
>> --- whatever that means.
>>
>> Bottom line --- I can't watch the video.
>
> Firefox 3.0.8 on OS X doesn't work either.
>
> But you can go directly to
> http://www.lecturemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/lmpremovie.swf
> and it will work.
> --
> Gad Abraham

AND it works beautfully using FlashPlayer v.9 on Linux too!

This was the version I already had installed when I first failed
to locate the video -- instead seeing the little panel for installing
FlashPlayer, which I ignored, since I already had it, not realising
that it was telling me I should install FlashPhayer 10.

It is now clear that this advice was erroneous, since version 9
in fact works fine!

Furthermore, when (as I previously reported) I did install version 10,
that didn't work either. I later found that version 10 was looking
for versions of Linux libraries which I didn't have; and also that
FlashPlayer no longer worked (e.g.) on the BBC website.

So I re-installed version 9, and everything again worked on the BBC
and for videos in Press reports, etc. But of course still the same
failure for the SFBA video. Now, using the direct URL for the same
video as kindly revealed by Gad, it works and could have worked
all along!

It is, therefore, clear that the HTML in the original URL is doing
the wrong thing, by somehow detecting a version < 10 of FlashPlayer
and refusing to cooperate, when this was erroneous.

I (and Jim Porzak and Mike Driscoll) received a private email from
  Ron Fredericks
  Video director and Multimedia expressionist
  http://www.lecturemaker.com
  Ron @ Lecturemaker <[hidden email]>
(whom I'm adding to the address-list for this mail) which stated:

  The video may be hard find, admittedly, if you do not have
  version 10 of flash player installed. If you do not have a
  recent version of Flash in your web browser, I present a
  smallish Adobe image with the words "you do not have
  version 10 of flash installed, click to install".

  Attached is a screenshot of what you should be seeing at this link
  http://www.lecturemaker.com/2009/02/r-kickoff-video/

  I'll take your feedback from the R User Group list server
  as a suggestion to make the "need to update your flash player"
  a lot bigger on the screen.

  Ron Fredericks

So, message to Ron Fredericks: The video works with version 9.
If (for some reason) it is essential for the original URL to
detect when version 10 is not installed, then there should be
a pointer on the folloowing lines:

  "You appear not to have version 10 of Flach Player installed.
   If you are using an earlier version, please click on the
   following link ..... "

which would take people to the URL provided by Gad, which does work
on earlier versions (well, version 9 at least). Then it would no
longer be the case that "The video may be hard find, admittedly,
if you do not have version 10 of flash player installed."!

My thanks to everyone who hsd helped to delve into this tangle,
and especially to Gad who found where the solution was lurking!

Best wishes to all,

Date: 01-Apr-09                                       Time: 11:17:02

Re: use R Group SFBA April meeting reminder; video of Feb k

Ron @ Lecturemaker
Hi Ted and others,

I appreciate your time in sharing R user group experience with my video
player scheme.  Over time, I hope to iron out all issues your views
encounter.

For now I think I have a good solution for flash 10 upgrade issue.  See
screenshot "flash10warning.png" for example of flash version error handler
from my Ubantu box - large error message with alternate playback link to the
swf file itself.

My mac plays the video just fine, and the upgrade detect worked just fine
too. The problem that Gad describes may be more complicated. I suspect he is
encountering a security mechanism resulting from my chosen method of flash
version detection.  It is a very popular technique called SWFObject
developed by google.  To narrow down Gad's problem, I'll request of Gad to
try the following link's test suite and see if he finds some tests that
fail...  http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/test_suite If one or more
of these tests fail, then I can work backward to identify the problem /
solution matrix.  The error message he encountered is consistent with my
catch all error (with 15 1-second retry's before finally aborting) for
security related issues and/or transient Internet connectivity errors.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Ron Fredericks
LectureMaker.com

Date: 01-Apr-09                                       Time: 11:17:02

Ron @ Lecturemaker wrote:

> Hi Ted and others,
>
> I appreciate your time in sharing R user group experience with my video
> player scheme.  Over time, I hope to iron out all issues your views
> encounter.
>
> For now I think I have a good solution for flash 10 upgrade issue.  See
> screenshot "flash10warning.png" for example of flash version error handler
> from my Ubantu box - large error message with alternate playback link to the
> swf file itself.
>
> My mac plays the video just fine, and the upgrade detect worked just fine
> too. The problem that Gad describes may be more complicated. I suspect he is
> encountering a security mechanism resulting from my chosen method of flash
> version detection.  It is a very popular technique called SWFObject
> developed by google.  To narrow down Gad's problem, I'll request of Gad to
> try the following link's test suite and see if he finds some tests that
> fail...  http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/test_suite If one or more
> of these tests fail, then I can work backward to identify the problem /
> solution matrix.  The error message he encountered is consistent with my
> catch all error (with 15 1-second retry's before finally aborting) for
> security related issues and/or transient Internet connectivity errors.

It was actually Rolf that got the error message - all I got was the
title "The R and Science..." and nothing under it. Now I get
"LectureMaker.com recommends Flash...". I'm using Flash 9.0.151.0 on
Firefox 3.0.8, OS X 10.5.6.