using aws.s3::s3 sync to dowlaod files from public s3 Bucket without credentials?

using aws.s3::s3 sync to dowlaod files from public s3 Bucket without credentials?

Nevil Amos
Hi I am developing a package that reives on some large datasets stored in
aws s3.
I have made the bucket and all objects in the bucket public, but still
cannot sync them to my local directory without providing my AWS key pair.
without these credentials I get a "bucket does not exist" message.

Should it be possible to "see" and use
Sys.setenv("AWS_DEFAULT_REGION" =MYDEFAULTREGION)
aws.s3::s3sync (path ="./", bucket=MYBUCKETNAME,check_region = F,direction
= "download")

to download the bucket contents without providing a keypair where both
bucket and contents are public?

thanks

Nevil Amos