very large pair() plot

ahrager
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

My boss wants me to make a series of scatter plots where 76 variables are plotted against each other.  I know how to do this using pair()...my problem is that there are just too many plots to fit in the window.

Is there any way I can get all the plots to fit and make the font size and marker size scale so it is readable? My goal is to create a *.pdf file that I can send to our large plotter.

Thank you,
Audrey Rager

Re: very large pair() plot

Uwe Ligges-3

On 29.06.2011 23:28, ahrager wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a newbie and this is my first post.
>
> My boss wants me to make a series of scatter plots where 76 variables are
> plotted against each other.  I know how to do this using pair()...my problem
> is that there are just too many plots to fit in the window.
>
> Is there any way I can get all the plots to fit and make the font size and
> marker size scale so it is readable? My goal is to create a *.pdf file that
> I can send to our large plotter.

Exactly:

pdf(....., height=..., width=...)
pairs(....)
dev.off()

and set height and width appropriately.

Then you can zoom in using a pdf viewer or print on your giga-sized plotter.

Uwe Ligges

> Thank you,
> Audrey Rager

Re: very large pair() plot

Greg Snow-2
In addition to Uwe's answer, you might also want to consider the pairs2 function in the TeachingDemos package.  It lets you plot sections of the overall scatterplot matrix rather than the whole thing, so you could spread the entire scatterplot matrix over multiple pages.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Re: very large pair() plot

William Revelle
In addition to Uwe's suggestion of creating a pdf and then plotting
to it, it is useful to set the gap size to 0 (gap=0)

You might also look at pairs.panels in the psych package which
implements one of the examples in pairs (i.e., it gives histograms on
the diagonal and reports the correlation above the diagonal).

Bill

At 11:30 AM -0600 6/30/11, Greg Snow wrote:
>In addition to Uwe's answer, you might also want to consider the
>pairs2 function in the TeachingDemos package.  It lets you plot
>sections of the overall scatterplot matrix rather than the whole
>thing, so you could spread the entire scatterplot matrix over
>multiple pages.

>--
>Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
>Statistical Data Center