warning message while plotting taylor diagram

warning message while plotting taylor diagram

yssp03
Dear all
I am new to R and not know much about it.
However through googling I am able to plot taylor diagram.

Here is the message from R
> taylor.diagram(obs,M3,pos.cor=FALSE,add=FALSE,pcex=1,col="darkgreen")
Warning messages:
1: sd(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
 Use sapply(*, sd) instead.
2: sd(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
 Use sapply(*, sd) instead.
3: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
 Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
4: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
 Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
5: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
 Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
6: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
 Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.

I am worried about these warning messages.will this effect my taylor diagram or they are just warnings.

Thanking you in anticipation

Re: warning message while plotting taylor diagram

Henrik Singmann
Dear Waheed,

As you correctly inferred, these are just warnings and dont need to bother you now. The maintainer/author of the taylor.diagram function should be more worried.

These warnings just say that in upcoming versions of R the functions within taylor.diagram() will not work anymore. However, when this will happen is unclear.

Currently, everything is okay.

Best,
Henrik

Am 26.07.2012 03:46, schrieb yssp03:

> Dear all
> I am new to R and not know much about it.
> However through googling I am able to plot taylor diagram.
>
> Here is the message from R
> *> taylor.diagram(obs,M3,pos.cor=FALSE,add=FALSE,pcex=1,col="darkgreen")
> Warning messages:
> 1: sd(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use sapply(*, sd) instead.
> 2: sd(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use sapply(*, sd) instead.
> 3: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
> 4: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
> 5: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
> 6: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.*
>
> I am worried about these warning messages.will this effect my taylor diagram
> or they are just warnings.
>
> Thanking you in anticipation

Dipl. Psych. Henrik Singmann
PhD Student
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
http://www.psychologie.uni-freiburg.de/Members/singmann

Re: warning message while plotting taylor diagram

yssp03
Dear Henrik

Thank you so much for the clarification.

Best regards
waheed

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Henrik Singmann [via R] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Waheed,

As you correctly inferred, these are just warnings and dont need to bother you now. The maintainer/author of the taylor.diagram function should be more worried.

These warnings just say that in upcoming versions of R the functions within taylor.diagram() will not work anymore. However, when this will happen is unclear.

Currently, everything is okay.

Best,
Henrik

Am 26.07.2012 03:46, schrieb yssp03:

> Dear all

> I am new to R and not know much about it.
> However through googling I am able to plot taylor diagram.
>
> Here is the message from R
> *> taylor.diagram(obs,M3,pos.cor=FALSE,add=FALSE,pcex=1,col="darkgreen")
> Warning messages:
> 1: sd(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use sapply(*, sd) instead.
> 2: sd(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use sapply(*, sd) instead.
> 3: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
> 4: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
> 5: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.
> 6: mean(<data.frame>) is deprecated.
>   Use colMeans() or sapply(*, mean) instead.*
>
> I am worried about these warning messages.will this effect my taylor diagram
> or they are just warnings.
>
> Thanking you in anticipation

Dipl. Psych. Henrik Singmann
PhD Student
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
http://www.psychologie.uni-freiburg.de/Members/singmann

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/warning-message-while-plotting-taylor-diagram-tp4637862p4637912.html
To unsubscribe from warning message while plotting taylor diagram, click here.
NAML

--
Best Regards
Waheed

Re: warning message while plotting taylor diagram

Jim Lemon
On 07/26/2012 10:27 PM, Henrik Singmann wrote:

> Dear Waheed,
>
> As you correctly inferred, these are just warnings and dont need to
> bother you now. The maintainer/author of the taylor.diagram function
> should be more worried.
>
> These warnings just say that in upcoming versions of R the functions
> within taylor.diagram() will not work anymore. However, when this will
> happen is unclear.
>
> Currently, everything is okay.

Hi Waheed and Henrik,
The problem is that either "obs" or "M3" is a data frame. The first two
arguments to the function are supposed to be vectors, so perhaps you
have extracted one element of a data frame using something like this:

M3<-my.data.frame[1]
OR
M3<-my.data.frame["M3"]

which produces a one column data frame. I'll stick a conditional
"unlist" into the function to prevent this from causing trouble in
future. Thanks for letting me know.

Jim

Re: warning message while plotting taylor diagram

Henrik Singmann
Dear Jim,

indeed, you are right. As the OP did not include the package name I was to lazy to check where taylor.diagram actually is from. Would I have known that it is from plotrix I would have seen
that it actually is not a problem of the author but of handing over the wrong object.

As I know, functions in plotrix are very well-kept and those errors (i.e., using mean on a data.frame) would not occur, thanks to your work.

Better call ??taylor.diagram next time before prematurely posting.

Best,
Henrik